How much power must you exert

• Thread starter dgomez89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary: The normal force N is the force of the table pushing on the brick floor. The brick floor pushes back on the table with the same force. If the table is moving at constant speed, then the force you must exert is equal to the frictional force. You can calculate the frictional force if you know the normal force and the coefficient of kinetic friction.In summary, you need to exert a force of approximately 49 N to drag a 20.0 kg table 14.0 m across a brick floor in 40.0 s at constant velocity, assuming the coefficient of kinetic friction between the table and floor is 0.600. This can be calculated using the equation P = F (d/t) or by
dgomez89
How much power must you exert to horizontally drag a 20.0 kg table 14.0 m across a brick floor in 40.0 s at constant velocity, assuming the coefficient of kinetic friction between the table and floor is 0.600?

Homework Equations

P=F(d/t), fk=mukN

The Attempt at a Solution

P=(20.0*9.8)(14.0/40.0) fk=(0.600*20.0*9.8)
=68.6W =117.6

117.6-68.6=49W

I really do not know how to do this problem, I just tried it in a way that made some sense to me, but it's obviously wrong. PLEASE HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
When you drag something horizontally, you must do work to overcome the force of friction, not gravity.

your first equation P = F (d/t) tells you the power needed to push something with a force F, that's moving in the direction of that force with a constant speed v = d/t

The second equation [itex] F_k = \mu_k N [/itex] tells you how big the friction is if you know the normal force N

So then do i need to find the work first and then whatever value I get from that use it to find the Power by using P=W/t?

You can do that, or calculate the speed first and then Power = force * speed.

The equation you gave P = F (d/t) does this all at once.

The important thing is to calculate the force you must exert first.

1. How is power defined in science?

Power in science refers to the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. It is typically measured in units of watts (W) or horsepower (hp).

2. What factors determine how much power must be exerted?

The amount of power required depends on the amount of work to be done and the time in which it needs to be completed. Other factors may include the efficiency of the system and any external resistances.

3. Can power be increased without increasing the amount of work done?

Yes, power can be increased without increasing the amount of work done by decreasing the time it takes to complete the work. This can be achieved by increasing the speed at which the work is done.

4. How does power relate to force and velocity?

Power is directly proportional to both force and velocity. This means that if the force applied or the velocity at which the force is applied increases, the power required to do the work will also increase.

5. What are some common units of power used in science?

Some common units of power used in science include watts (W), horsepower (hp), and joules per second (J/s). Kilowatts (kW) and megawatts (MW) are often used for larger power measurements.