Find a Fourier Series representation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the representation for the Fourier series with function f of period P = 2*pi such that f(x) = cosαx, −pi ≤ x ≤ pi , and α ≠ 0,±1,±2,±3,K is a constant. The speaker has evaluated the terms a0, an, and bn and has found them to be a0 = 0, an = 0 for a ≠ n and 1 for a = n, and bn = 0. However, they are stuck on how to apply the general Fourier series representation to this case and are having trouble writing down the series coefficients for non-integer values of α. They also mention the possibility of using standard trigon
math_trouble
I'm having problem finding the representation for the Fourier series with

function f of period P = 2*pi such that f (x) = cosαx, −pi ≤ x ≤ pi , and α ≠ 0,±1,±2,±3,K is a
constant.

Any help is appreciated...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi math_trouble! :wink:

You probably need one of the standard trigonometric identities for cosAcosB.

Anyway, show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

The Fourier coefficients are certain integrals. Write them down. If you can't do them, let us know.

i evaluated a0,an and bn term
i get a0=0

an= 0 when a not equals to n & 1 when a equals to n

bn= 0

i know the general Fourier series representation is in :
a0/2 + SUM(ancos(nx) + bnsin(nx))

but then I am stuck on how to apply the general term to this case

Hi Math_Trouble. Just to save confusion, can we call the parameter [itex]\alpha[/itex] instead of "a", so as not to confuse it with the [itex]a_n[/itex] Fourier coefficients.

Your [itex]a_n[/itex] and [itex]b_n[/itex] are correct for integer values of the parameter [itex]\alpha[/itex], but I thought that you wanted an expression that is valid for non-integer alpha. I'm a little confused here because you say that you've "evaluated the terms" which implies that you have an expression to evaluate. If so then where is your expression and is it valid for non-integer [itex]\alpha[/itex]?

The fact is that for integer values of alpha you don't even need to do the Fourier integrals to determine the series coefficients. You can do it "by inspection" since the waveform is already a perfect cosine wave. It's not that the Fourier integrals don't work for integer [itex]\alpha[/itex], they do, it's just that the problem is not really interesting for that case (which is why I presume that they explicitly called for a non integer alpha in the question).

If you just do the Fourier integrals then you should get an expression that is valid for real (integer and non integer) values of the parameter (though you may need to take limits to evaluate the integer cases). Show us your working so far and we can help you.

Last edited:
Hi uart..thx for reminding tat [itex]\alpha[/itex] is not an integer:smile:

but now I am having trouble again to write down the series coefficient for [itex]\alpha[/itex] [tex]\neq[/tex] integer because it seems to be too many values and not like a general expression could express them all

1. What is a Fourier Series representation?

A Fourier Series representation is a mathematical tool used to represent a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies and amplitudes.

2. Why is it useful to find a Fourier Series representation?

Finding a Fourier Series representation can help in analyzing and understanding the behavior of periodic functions, especially in applications such as signal processing and data analysis.

3. How do you find a Fourier Series representation?

To find a Fourier Series representation, you need to determine the coefficients of the sinusoidal functions in the series by using integration or other methods, based on the properties of the given function.

4. What types of functions can be represented using a Fourier Series?

Any periodic function, including piecewise continuous and piecewise smooth functions, can be represented using a Fourier Series.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a Fourier Series representation?

One limitation of a Fourier Series representation is that it can only be used for periodic functions, so it cannot be applied to non-periodic functions. In addition, the convergence of the series may be slow or may not occur for certain types of functions.