Want to start open source

In summary, the conversation revolves around a student seeking advice on how to improve their programming skills. They mention being a third year student majoring in electronics and information technology and wanting to specialize in a particular area. They express interest in learning an object-oriented language and have chosen Java for self-study. They also mention wanting to contribute to open source projects but are unsure of where to start. Some advice is given on how to find and contribute to open source projects, as well as tips for successful collaboration. Ultimately, it is recommended to start with simple projects and work on improving coding skills before diving into more complex projects.
nuudelchin
Hello all.

I need some advice for my programming skills.
Now I'm a third year student majoring electronics and information technology(not sure what to specialize). Everything i study at the school is real basics things such as maths, physics, and all the experiments etc. .I am sure they are worth studying and i like them. But I never studied programing languages except for C and now I think, maybe too late however, I just should study at least one object-oriented language. So, I chose "java" and trying self-study.

I think only reading a book is not so bright idea, so i want to do something in in "real world" and that would help a lot. I mean i want to participate in open sourcing. But i don't know where to start and what to do?

Can anyone give me some advice? Any advice on anything is welcome.

Technology news on Phys.org
Hi nuudelchin,

Why do chose for Java and not C++, because of your experience in C?
C++ is also object oriented and can bring you a lot of experience.

When looking for a open source project I most of the time start looking on Github.
for java projects: https://github.com/trending?l=java
for C++: https://github.com/trending?l=cpp
Look around and try to find something interesting.
If you do find something you could fork the project and make you own version of the repository.

Some tips when joining a open source project
When writing code put some comments in so the other collaborators can easily see what you code does.
The same for commits to the repo. Make sure you put good comments by the commits.
This way you can see the change allong the way. This definitely helps when doing large projects.

Good luck,
Barnoussi

Hey nuudelchin.

I would suggest you think about what kind of code you want to contribute to. List some projects relevant to your projects and your interests and then look for open source projects to contribute to.

Also note that gaining access to the repository won't usually come quickly - you will often have to prove yourself before you get the kind of access that allows you to actively contribute.

I'd recommend you just modify the code with your own personal branch than try to actively contribute. It's not easy to trust someone to write good code when you haven't seen them write code before so if you can't get access to the main repository then just go it alone and you can talk about that.

If you want to do group projects then you may want to check different repositories and see if they allow you to create custom branches on significant alterations to the code you write.

Also if you haven't actually written a lot of code, try getting your coding environment setup right and then look at doing some simple projects to get you started - don't run when you can't walk correctly.

Likes Borg
Originally posted in 2010 and nuudelchin hasn't been to the site in 4 years. This has got to be one of the oldest necro-posts I've seen in a while. :bow:

Closed as the OP posted this almost 5 years ago, and hasn't been heard from since.

1. What is open source?

Open source refers to software or projects that are developed and made available to the public for free. This means that anyone can access, use, and modify the source code of the software.

2. Why should I start an open source project?

Starting an open source project allows you to collaborate with other developers and contribute to the community. It also allows for faster development and innovation, as multiple people can work on the project simultaneously.

3. What skills do I need to start an open source project?

To start an open source project, you should have a good understanding of a programming language and have experience with version control systems such as Git. It is also helpful to have strong communication and collaboration skills.

4. How do I choose a license for my open source project?

Choosing a license for your open source project is an important decision, as it determines how others can use and modify your software. Some common licenses include MIT, GNU GPL, and Apache. It's important to do research and understand the implications of each license before making a decision.

5. How can I get others to contribute to my open source project?

To encourage others to contribute to your open source project, you can actively promote it on social media and developer forums, provide clear documentation and guidelines for contributing, and make it easy for others to submit their contributions. It's also important to create a welcoming and inclusive community for contributors.