Electric Forces between three charges

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the magnitude and direction of the resultant force on an electron that is near a positive and negative ion with specific charges and distances. The final answer was initially incorrect due to incorrect use of an equation and vector addition, but was eventually corrected.
thst1003
17-p-009-alt.gif

An electron is near a positive ion of charge +9e and a negative ion of charge −8e (see the figure below). (Take a = 5.23 µm, b = 4.28 µm, and θ = 54.9°.)

(a) Find the magnitude and direction of the resultant force on the electron. (Let right be the +x-direction. Measure the angle counter-clockwise from the +x-axis.)

F = k(q x q/r^2)

I tried using this equation and then finally doing vector addition and I got an answer of: 2.235e-16 N and this was wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Then I guess you used the equation or did the vector addition wrong...

Care to show some of your work?

Thanks! I actually was using my calculator in the incorrect mode. I figure it out. I really appreciate it.

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric force between three charges?

The formula for calculating the electric force between three charges is F = k * (q1*q2/r1^2 + q1*q3/r2^2 + q2*q3/r3^2), where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1, q2, and q3 are the magnitudes of the charges, and r1, r2, and r3 are the distances between the charges.

2. How does the direction of the electric force between three charges depend on the charges' positions?

The direction of the electric force between three charges depends on the relative positions of the charges. If all three charges are of the same sign, the force will be repulsive and the charges will move away from each other. If two charges are of the same sign and one is opposite, the force will be attractive and the charges will move towards each other.

3. How are the electric forces between three charges affected by changes in their magnitudes?

The electric forces between three charges are directly proportional to the magnitudes of the charges. This means that an increase in the magnitude of one or more charges will result in an increase in the electric force between them. Conversely, a decrease in the magnitude of one or more charges will result in a decrease in the electric force between them.

4. Can the electric forces between three charges be canceled out?

Yes, the electric forces between three charges can be canceled out if the charges are arranged in such a way that the net force on each individual charge is zero. This can be achieved by arranging the charges in a specific geometric configuration, such as an equilateral triangle with equal magnitudes of charges.

5. How does the distance between the charges affect the strength of the electric force?

The distance between the charges has an inverse relationship with the strength of the electric force. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the electric force decreases. This is because the force follows an inverse square law, where the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges.