How the 2nd equation shown below is arrived to from the first one?

• Thread starter Lunat1c
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the process of arriving at the 2nd equation from the first one, which involves using a double angle formula. The individual asking the question is stuck and cannot figure out how to continue, as there seems to be a missing term in the exponential. However, they are also unsure if there is an identity that they are not familiar with that could help them solve the problem.
Lunat1c
Hi,

Can someone please show me how the 2nd equation shown below is arrived to from the first one?

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/126/voltages.jpg

I started with:

[tex] V_R = \frac{\sqrt(2)E}{\pi} \Bigg[\bigg(-cos(\omega t)\bigg)_{\alpha}^{\beta} - sin(\beta)\omega CR\bigg(exp\bigg({-\frac{\omega t - \beta}{\omega CR}}\bigg)_{\beta}^{\pi+\alpha}\Bigg] [/tex]

[tex] V_R = \frac{\sqrt(2)E}{\pi} \Bigg[-cos(\beta)+cos(\alpha) - sin(\beta)\omega CR\bigg(exp\bigg({-\frac{\pi+\alpha-\beta}{\omega CR}}\bigg) - 1\bigg)\Bigg] [/tex]

I can't figure out how to continue from there.. there must be some kind of identity that I can use which I'm not familiar with

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

It looks as if there is an i missing from the exponential.

That thought did cross my mind however there shouldn't be any 'i' ([tex] \sqrt-1 [/tex])

From what I can see, there is no way of getting from the top to the bottom. One reason is that the double angle formula gives the product of trig functions, and you clearly don't have that in the top formula.

1. How do you derive the second equation from the first one?

The second equation is derived using the principles of algebra and mathematical operations. In this case, it is likely that the first equation was manipulated using addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division to arrive at the second equation.

2. What steps are involved in obtaining the second equation from the first one?

The specific steps involved in obtaining the second equation will vary depending on the complexity of the equations. However, in general, the first equation is likely to undergo a series of algebraic manipulations, such as combining like terms, factoring, or solving for a specific variable, to arrive at the second equation.

3. How do you know that the second equation is equivalent to the first one?

In mathematics, two equations are considered equivalent if they have the same solution set. This means that when you substitute the same values for the variables in both equations, you will get the same result. Therefore, if the second equation can be obtained from the first one using valid algebraic manipulations, they are considered equivalent.

4. Can you explain the reasoning behind the transformation from the first equation to the second one?

The reasoning behind the transformation from the first equation to the second one may vary depending on the specific equations and the problem at hand. However, in general, the transformation is based on the mathematical properties and rules of algebra, which allow us to manipulate equations while maintaining their equivalence.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to arrive at the second equation from the first one?

In mathematics, there are often multiple ways to arrive at the same result. Therefore, there may be shortcuts or tricks to obtain the second equation from the first one, depending on the specific equations. However, it is important to understand the underlying principles and rules of algebra to ensure that the transformation is valid and the equations remain equivalent.