Charging a 1.2 rechargeable battery

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a 9V DC output converter to recharge two 1.2V rechargeable batteries for a cordless phone handset. The 9V is likely used for mass production purposes and the internal circuitry will step down the voltage to what is needed for charging. The base unit also has a separate power supply for its transceiver functions.
mendes
I have a simple question I hope):

My cordless phone handset works with two 1.2V rechargeable batteries, but the DC converter that comes with it and that is supposed to recharge the batteries has a 9V DC output ! How come ? Is it applying 9 V to recharge two 1.2V rechargeable batteries ?! Or perhaps the 9V go only on the charger (where sits the headset to be charged) and the charger applies only the appropriate voltage to the batteries, that is around 2.4 V. But then why so much voltage (9 V) for the charger ?!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
To power the transceiver functions of the base

somecreepyold said:
To power the transceiver functions of the base

The base is a separate unit (from the handset charger) and has a separate power supply.

Then its most likely because its cheaper to produce a bazillion 9-volt chargers than it is to make separate ones for each unit.

The internal circuitry will step down the voltage to what is needed and draw only as much power as needed.

Stepping down DC voltage is much much much easier (less waste) than going from AC to DC, hence the preference for mass production of something that can properly power a wide range of devices.

you mean the device will draw only 1.2 v even if we supply 9v to it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well a better way to put it would be its going to draw as many watts as it needs to charge

1. How long does it take to charge a 1.2 rechargeable battery?

The time it takes to charge a 1.2 rechargeable battery can vary depending on the battery's capacity and the charging rate. On average, it can take anywhere from 1 to 8 hours to fully charge a 1.2 rechargeable battery.

2. Can I use any charger to charge a 1.2 rechargeable battery?

No, it is important to use a charger that is specifically designed for 1.2 rechargeable batteries. Using a charger with the wrong voltage or current can damage the battery and potentially cause safety hazards.

3. How many times can a 1.2 rechargeable battery be charged?

The number of times a 1.2 rechargeable battery can be charged depends on the quality of the battery and how it is used. On average, a 1.2 rechargeable battery can be charged 500-1000 times before it starts losing its capacity.

4. Can I overcharge a 1.2 rechargeable battery?

Yes, it is possible to overcharge a 1.2 rechargeable battery, which can lead to overheating and potential damage. It is important to use a charger with overcharge protection or to monitor the charging process and disconnect the battery once it is fully charged.

5. How do I know when a 1.2 rechargeable battery is fully charged?

Some chargers have built-in indicators that show when a 1.2 rechargeable battery is fully charged. If your charger does not have this feature, you can use a timer or a voltmeter to monitor the charging process. Once the battery reaches its maximum voltage, it is fully charged.