How can I simplify and solve this expression with negative exponents?

• Thread starter Nelo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponent
In summary, the student has difficulty solving a homework problem because they do not properly apply the negative exponent to the coefficient. They also make mistakes with the order of operations.
Nelo

Homework Statement

http://i51.tinypic.com/2zyfyaa.jpg

Question 3 l )

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(6a^-2b^-3)^2
(__________) 1/6a^2 * 1/b^3 / 1/2a^2 * 1/b^1
(2a^2b^-1 )

I multiplied the top half together to give me 1/ 36a^4b^2

Multiplied the bottom half to give me 1/4a^4b^1 , Then took the reciprical of the bottom half and move it up and multiplied it with the top half.

Giving me a final of

:: 4a^4b^1

However, when i fold this down it becomes 1/9 and the a's cancel and 4b is left over at the bottom.

The answer is a^8b^4 / 9

I know its complicated to read, just write it on paper and ull understand.

What did i do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or... f) (-3m^-3n^-1)^-3

Solving this one, I get -27m^9 / n^3

Why in the answer book is it m^9*m^3 /27 ?

Anyone...?

You continue to write out your problems in a way that makes it hard to read. I think others would be less willing to help you because of this. Learn LaTeX, for goodness sake!

In any event, if I am reading your work correctly, this line:
Nelo said:
I multiplied the top half together to give me 1/ 36a^4b^2
is wrong. It should be 1/ 36a^4b^6.

Anyway, your approach is rather confusing. It looks like you want to start by rewriting the negative exponents to positive ones. I wouldn't do that. Instead, divide the numerator by the denominator, subtracting exponents as you go:
[itex]\left(\frac{6a^{-2}b^{-3}}{2a^2 b^{-1}}\right)^{-2} = \left(3a^{-4}b^{-2} \right)^{-2}[/itex]
Then "distribute" the -2 exponent that is outside the parentheses, and THEN rewrite any negative exponents that are remaining to positive ones.

If i do it your way, then I get no fractions in my final answer. i just get 9a^8b^4, Sorry I don't know any other method except this recipricol one and its just not working.

I understand your step, but what step comes after How do i turn that into a fraction again

Nelo said:
Or... f) (-3m^-3n^-1)^-3

Solving this one, I get -27m^9 / n^3

Why in the answer book is it m^9*m^3 /27 ?

Anyone...?

You got it wrong because it looks like you think that
[itex](-3)^{-3} = -27[/itex],
and it's not. It should be
[itex](-3)^{-3} = -\frac{1}{27}[/itex].

Also, the answer book does not say that! Don't you see the typos? It should be
[tex]-\frac{m^9 n^3}{27}[/tex]

Nelo said:
If i do it your way, then I get no fractions in my final answer. i just get 9a^8b^4
No, you should have gotten
[itex]\frac{1}{9}a^8 b^4 = \frac{a^8 b^4}{9}[/itex].
You're not applying the negative exponent to the coefficient correctly, it seems.

Cept i do realize that it is 1/-27, and yes it is a typo, but my question remains the same. Why is that mn on top and the 27 on bottom .

When i work it out I get this...

= 1 1
____ * ____
-27m^6 n^3

Then I don't get why the m and n are on top and 27 is on bottom. Unless the n cross multipleis up to the left and the m^6 only cross multiplies to the other side... But that's probably not it.

So.. you solved it like multiplication then did a recipriocol of the "9" for the final step..?

Nelo said:
= 1 1
____ * ____
-27m^6 n^3

Type this instead:

[tex ]\frac{1}{-27m^6}*\frac{1}{n^3}[/tex ]

(without the space in the tex tags) You will save yourself and anyone who's reading your work lots of time.

[tex]\frac{1}{-27m^6}*\frac{1}{n^3}[/tex]

Nelo said:
Cept i do realize that it is 1/-27, and yes it is a typo, but my question remains the same. Why is that mn on top and the 27 on bottom .

When i work it out I get this...

= 1 1
____ * ____
-27m^6 n^3

Then I don't get why the m and n are on top and 27 is on bottom. Unless the n cross multipleis up to the left and the m^6 only cross multiplies to the other side... But that's probably not it.
But if you "distribute" the -3 exponent outside the parentheses first, you would get
[itex]\left(-3m^{-3}n^{-1}\right)^{-3} = (-3)^{-3}m^{9}n^{6}[/itex]
It's much easier to simplify from this, as opposed to using the reciprocal method to start.

Reopen my tinypic link, and look at 3k) . How do i solve that using your method? I simplified the top half then tried solving it and it failed.

I get to -10s^5 t^3

I get it this far. Now what am i supposed to do? ( I know I am not using your tex thing.. I don't know how and i don't really have time at the moment)

Last edited:
Ok, well whatever I guess. Just answer me this then. If there is an expression that include both negetive and positive exponents, I keep the positive exponents where they are and recipricol the negitive ones yes?

Nelo said:
Reopen my tinypic link, and look at 3k) . How do i solve that using your method? I simplified the top half then tried solving it and it failed.

I get to -10s^5 t^3
Now you can either subtract the exponents, or "flip" the variables that contain the negative exponents across the bar and make the exponents positive, like this:
[tex]\frac{-10 t^3 t^3}{4s^2 s^5}[/tex]
I'll leave you to do the rest.

And if you must know, I didn't reply right away because it's morning here and I have to get ready for the day. The rest of us aren't chained to our computers 24 hours a day, you know. Now I have to run. Good luck.

1. How do I simplify an expression with negative exponents?

To simplify an expression with negative exponents, you can use the rule that states that a negative exponent is equivalent to the reciprocal of the corresponding positive exponent. For example, x-3 is equivalent to 1/x3.

2. Can I rewrite a negative exponent as a positive one?

Yes, you can rewrite a negative exponent as a positive one by using the rule mentioned above. Keep in mind that this will only work for expressions with negative exponents in the numerator or denominator.

3. What should I do with negative exponents inside parentheses?

If you have negative exponents inside parentheses, you can apply the rule mentioned in the first question. However, if the parentheses are raised to a negative exponent, you can rewrite it as a fraction with a positive exponent. For example, (x-3)-2 is equivalent to x6.

4. Can I simplify expressions with both negative and positive exponents?

Yes, you can simplify expressions with both negative and positive exponents by using the rules mentioned above and applying the exponent rules for multiplying and dividing terms with exponents.

5. Are there any shortcuts for simplifying expressions with negative exponents?

There are a few shortcuts you can use when simplifying expressions with negative exponents, such as using the power of a power rule, combining like terms, and factoring out common factors. However, it's important to remember to always check your work and follow the basic rules mentioned above to avoid any errors.