Confusing Math Problem: Solving for the Length of a Ski Slope in 30 Minutes

• Thread starter nando94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confusing
In summary, the total distance of the ski slope can be calculated using the equations d = 5t and d = 25T, where t represents the time taken to go up the mountain and T represents the time taken to ski back down. With the constraint t + T = 30 minutes or 0.5 hour, solving for d gives a final answer of 25/6 miles.
nando94
1. Jake rides a lift to the top of a maountain at a speed of 5 miles per hour. He then skis straight back down the slope to the bottom of the ski lift at an average speed five times faster than he went up the mountain. If the whole trip took 30 minutes, how long is the ski slope?

a. 1 mile
b. 15/7 miles
c. 17/6 miles
d. 25/6 miles
e. 5 miles

my attempt at a solution:

d=5t
d = 25t/5

From here on I tried plugging in the answers for the distance but they all seem to work. Then I found another way

at 5mph he's traveling at 1/12 miles per minute and at 25mph on the way down its 5/12 mpm. The I multiplied 1/12 by 5 to get 25/12 and did the same for 5/12 and got 25/12. I added up the distance and got 25/6 but I am not sure at all if its correct.

Im pretty confused with this one so any algebraic solution would really help. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi nando94! :smile:
nando94 said:
d=5t
d = 25t/5

you'll never solve this if you use the same letter for two different things :yuck:

use t and T (or t1 and t2), with t + T = 30 :wink:

haha yeah. I realized that later but I forgot to put that here. I was wondering if 25/6 was correct?

(just got up :zzz: …)

hmm …

let's see some algebra :wink:

if d is the length of the slope, what are the equations for t and T ? :smile:

(btw, no need to change to minutes, it's easier to use 30 min = 0.5 hour)

1. What makes a math problem confusing?

A math problem can be confusing for a variety of reasons. It may involve complex concepts or multiple steps, use unfamiliar notation or terminology, or have a tricky or unexpected solution. Additionally, a person's individual strengths and weaknesses in math can also affect how they perceive a problem as confusing.

2. How can I approach a confusing math problem?

When faced with a confusing math problem, it's important to take a step back and break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Look for clues in the problem that can help guide your approach, and try to relate it to concepts or problems you have solved before. If you are still stuck, don't be afraid to ask for help from a teacher or classmate.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a confusing math problem?

In most cases, yes, a calculator can be helpful in solving a confusing math problem. However, it's important to understand the underlying concepts and steps involved in solving the problem rather than solely relying on a calculator. Using a calculator can also help check your work and provide a quicker solution.

4. How can I improve my math skills to better understand confusing problems?

The best way to improve your math skills is through practice and persistence. Take the time to review and understand the fundamental concepts in math, and then challenge yourself with more difficult problems. Seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or tutoring services to supplement your learning.

5. Is there a right or wrong way to solve a confusing math problem?

In math, there is often more than one way to solve a problem. However, the key is to find a solution that is accurate, efficient, and follows the rules and principles of mathematics. It's important to show your work and explain your reasoning so that others can understand your solution, even if it differs from theirs.