Is There a Method to Find the Square Root of Confusing Algebraic Expressions?

In summary: So, it is not a perfect square.But as it is, the original polynomial is not a binomial raised to the 4th power.
Miike012
I found a way to find the square root of an expression which is confusing to me.
Is anyone familiar to this method? And my main question... will it be useful?

Attachments

• math.jpg
    math.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 448
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not familiar with this method. I found a http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz5c0DizXyk" that shows how to do a similar problem. It's not in English, though (Hindi?). But between the video and your attachment I was able to figure out how it works. As to whether or not this is useful, I personally don't find it useful, but others may have a different opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think this is very useful, either, and certainly not worth memorizing. What is much more useful is being able to factor perfect square trinomials such as x2 + 4x + 4 = (x + 2)2 and the like.

By looking at the expression I would't have even guess it was a perfect square.. I thought it would have been something along the lines of...

(cx + a)^4 ... with some type of coefficient infront of x.

If you memorize (or can derive) a few lines of "Pascals Triangle", you can quickly figure out things like (x+y)^5 and so on. I found that worth learning.

Miike012 said:
By looking at the expression I would't have even guess it was a perfect square.. I thought it would have been something along the lines of...

(cx + a)^4 ... with some type of coefficient infront of x.
Well, if the original polynomial ended up being a binomial raised to the 4th power, then the original polynomial would still be a perfect square, would it not? Using your notation,
(cx + a)4 = [((cx + a)2]2, after all.

But as it is, the original polynomial is not a binomial raised to the 4th power. If you rearrange the terms, the last one, 4a4, is NOT a perfect 4th-power. In other words, you can't write 4a4 as (ka)4, where k is an integer.

1. What is a square root in algebra?

A square root in algebra is a mathematical operation that determines the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. In other words, it is the inverse of squaring a number. For example, the square root of 25 is 5 because 5 multiplied by itself equals 25.

2. How do you solve for the square root of a number in algebra?

To solve for the square root of a number in algebra, you can use the square root symbol (√) or write it as an exponent of 1/2. For example, the square root of 36 can be written as √36 or 36^(1/2). You can also use a calculator to find the square root of a number.

3. What is the difference between the principal square root and the negative square root?

The principal square root is the positive number that, when squared, gives the original number. For example, the principal square root of 25 is 5. The negative square root is the negative number that, when squared, also gives the original number. In the case of 25, the negative square root would be -5.

4. Can you simplify square roots in algebra?

Yes, you can simplify square roots in algebra by finding perfect square factors within the number. For example, the square root of 32 can be simplified to √16 x √2, which equals 4√2. However, not all square roots can be simplified, such as √7 or √11.

5. How are square roots used in algebraic equations?

Square roots are often used in algebraic equations to solve for unknown variables. For example, in the equation x^2 = 25, the square root of 25 is taken to find the value of x, which is 5 or -5. Square roots are also used in the Pythagorean theorem and other geometric formulas.