Need help find the speed at a point on the wing

In summary, finding the speed at a point on the wing is important for understanding the aerodynamics and performance of an aircraft. It can be measured through various methods and can be affected by factors such as angle of attack and air density. The speed at a point on the wing impacts flight performance by influencing lift and drag forces. It can be changed by adjusting the aircraft's speed, angle of attack, or wing design.
lomao
An airplane has a true airspeed of 190mph. at10,000ft, standard atmosphere. What is the speed at a point on the wing where the pressure is 9 psic?

I'm stuck on this question.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know it's something about the Bernoulli. But I'm confused about the units and which equation I should use.

I really need help on this. Help me guys!

Try posting it in the homework section and using the proper format.

To determine the speed at a point on the wing where the pressure is 9 psic, we need to use the Bernoulli's principle which states that the total energy of a fluid flowing along a streamline is constant. This means that as the pressure decreases, the velocity increases.

In this scenario, we can use the equation P1 + 1/2ρv1^2 = P2 + 1/2ρv2^2, where P1 and v1 are the initial pressure and velocity, and P2 and v2 are the pressure and velocity at the point on the wing.

We are given the true airspeed of the airplane as 190mph, which is equivalent to 278.67 ft/s. At 10,000ft in standard atmosphere, the air density is 0.001225 kg/m^3. Using this information, we can plug in the values into the equation as follows:

9 psic = 9 * 6894.76 Pa = 62,053.84 Pa
190 mph = 278.67 ft/s = 85.04 m/s

P1 + 1/2 * 0.001225 * 85.04^2 = 62,053.84 Pa + 1/2 * 0.001225 * v2^2

Solving for v2, we get v2 = 404.59 ft/s or 277.18 mph.

Therefore, the speed at a point on the wing where the pressure is 9 psic is approximately 277.18 mph. It is important to note that this value is an approximation as there are other factors such as air turbulence and surface roughness that can affect the actual speed at that point on the wing. Additionally, this calculation assumes steady and uniform airflow, which may not always be the case in real-life scenarios.

1. What is the purpose of finding the speed at a point on the wing?

Finding the speed at a point on the wing is important for understanding the aerodynamics of the wing and how it affects the overall performance of the aircraft. It can also help in determining the lift and drag forces acting on the wing, which are crucial for the aircraft's stability and maneuverability.

2. How is the speed at a point on the wing measured?

The speed at a point on the wing can be measured using various methods, such as using pitot tubes, laser doppler anemometry, or computational fluid dynamics simulations. These methods involve measuring the air velocity at different points on the wing and then calculating the speed at the desired point.

3. What factors can affect the speed at a point on the wing?

The speed at a point on the wing can be affected by several factors, including the angle of attack, air density, airfoil shape, and the type of flow (laminar or turbulent). Other external factors such as wind speed and direction can also have an impact on the speed at a point on the wing.

4. How does the speed at a point on the wing impact flight performance?

The speed at a point on the wing is a crucial factor in determining the lift and drag forces, which ultimately affect the aircraft's flight performance. A higher speed at a point on the wing can result in a greater lift force and improved performance, while a lower speed can lead to increased drag and reduced efficiency.

5. Can the speed at a point on the wing be changed?

Yes, the speed at a point on the wing can be changed by adjusting the aircraft's speed, angle of attack, or by modifying the wing design. For example, by changing the shape of the wing or adding flaps, the speed at different points on the wing can be altered to improve the aircraft's performance in different flight conditions.