Classical solution of PDE with mixed boundary conditions

In summary, the conversation was about the difficulty of finding sufficient conditions for the existence of classical solutions of the Poisson equation with mixed Dirichlet-Neumann boundary conditions. The individual asking for help had already done a Google search and found a section in Polyanin's handbook, but it did not provide the necessary information. Another individual provided a link to the online version of the handbook, but it still did not have the information they were looking for. The conversation ended with the individual expressing their need to get the book from the library.
A. Neumaier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Nowadays people usually consider PDEs in weak formulations only, so I have a hard time finding statements about the existence of classical solutions of the Poisson equation with mixed Dirichlet-Neumann boundary conditions.

Maybe someone here can help me and point to a book or article where I can find sufficient conditions on the right hand side that guarantee the existence of a C^2 solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
A google search on "Dirichlet-Neumann conditions" turn up this:
http://www.math.osu.edu/~gerlach.1/math/BVtypset/node142.html

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
A google search on "Dirichlet-Neumann conditions" turn up this:
http://www.math.osu.edu/~gerlach.1/math/BVtypset/node142.html

Thanks. But this only mentions the definition of these boundary conditions. It doesn't give existence conditions for it (but for the Cauchy problem).

I did an extended Google search before I posed the question here, and found nothing useful.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a short section in Polyanin's handbook "Linear Partial Differential Equations" covering this case, but it does not appear to be available online. I'm not sure if the material there answers your question.

Andy Resnick said:
There's a short section in Polyanin's handbook "Linear Partial Differential Equations" covering this case, but it does not appear to be available online. I'm not sure if the material there answers your question.

Thanks. I need to get the book from the library.

Andy Resnick said:

It is online at
http://sharif.edu/~asghari/Handbook...s for engineers and scientists - Polyanin.pdf

Section 7.2 is about the Poisson equation, but it concentrates on specific solutions for nice domains. No existence results.

1. What is the classical solution of a PDE with mixed boundary conditions?

The classical solution of a partial differential equation (PDE) with mixed boundary conditions is a solution that satisfies the PDE and the specified boundary conditions in the classical sense, meaning it is smooth and continuous in both space and time.

2. How is the classical solution of a PDE with mixed boundary conditions different from other types of solutions?

The classical solution is different from other types of solutions, such as weak solutions or strong solutions, because it requires the solution to be smooth and continuous in both space and time. Other types of solutions may only satisfy the PDE and boundary conditions in a weaker or more restricted sense.

3. What are some examples of PDEs with mixed boundary conditions?

Some examples of PDEs with mixed boundary conditions include the heat equation, the wave equation, and the Laplace equation. These PDEs are commonly used in physics and engineering to model various physical phenomena.

4. How do you solve a PDE with mixed boundary conditions?

The classical solution of a PDE with mixed boundary conditions can be found using various analytical and numerical methods, such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or finite difference methods. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the PDE and the boundary conditions.

5. What are some applications of PDEs with mixed boundary conditions?

PDEs with mixed boundary conditions have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. They are commonly used to model heat transfer, wave propagation, and diffusion processes. They are also used in option pricing models in finance.