Question about Kepco Power Supply with Error Sensing

In summary, the conversation discusses using error sensing with a Kepco BOP 20-10M power supply connected to a solar cell to create I-V curves. The manual suggests grounding the load on the common side, but the person has concerns about all the current going to ground and not through the common wire. The manufacturer has placed an ammeter on the common side, making it difficult to follow the suggested setup. The solar cell has low resistance when forward biased, leading to concerns about tripping the breaker. The screenshot also shows using 1k resistors when relays are used, which are necessary to connect the sense leads to the power leads when the relay is open. Without the resistors, the power supply will try to
Aaron William
Hi, here are a few newb questions about error sensing -

I have a Kepco BOP 20-10M that I have connected to a solar cell. The purpose is to sweep voltage across the cell and create I-V curves.

Attached is a screenshot from the manual showing the setup for my application - using error sensing (4-wire Kelvin measurement). If I interpret the figure correctly, Kepco wants me to ground the load on the common side. My question is: Wouldn't all of the current from the output go to ground and not through the common wire? If this is the case, why have a common wire at all?

This wouldn't work for me because the manufacturer of this system put the ammeter (more accurately, a small resistor that sends a voltage signal to my A/D card) on the common side. I could put it on the output side but I never go against manufacturer wishes :)

Also, the solar cell has very little resistance when forward biased enough. I think I will just trip the breaker when the voltage sweep gets high enough because all the output current is going directly to ground with virtually no resistance.

Second question, the screenshot also shows placing a 1K resistor from output and common to their respective sense when relays are used. I do have two relays that connect, independently, the sense circuit and the current circuit to the load. Can someone explain the purpose of those resistors?

Attachments

• Kepco_BOP_Manual_Screenshot.jpg
    Kepco_BOP_Manual_Screenshot.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Aaron William said:
Can someone explain the purpose of those resistors?

The 1k resistors are to connect the Sense leads to the Power leads when the relay is open.

Without the resistors, when the relay is open the Sense leads see Zero volts. At this point the power supply goes to maximum output voltage trying to get a reading on the Sense wires. Not an ideal situation!

When the relay closes, the Sense leads are connected to the load (and supply output) and all is good.

1. What is a Kepco Power Supply with Error Sensing?

A Kepco Power Supply with Error Sensing is a type of power supply that includes a built-in error sensing feature. This feature allows the power supply to detect and report any errors or malfunctions that may occur during operation.

2. How does the Error Sensing feature work?

The Error Sensing feature works by constantly monitoring the output of the power supply and comparing it to the desired output. If there is a discrepancy, the power supply will automatically alert the user and shut down to prevent any potential damage.

3. What types of errors can the Error Sensing feature detect?

The Error Sensing feature can detect a wide range of errors, including overvoltage, undervoltage, overcurrent, and overtemperature. It can also detect short circuits and other malfunctions that may occur in the power supply.

4. Can the Error Sensing feature be disabled?

Yes, the Error Sensing feature can be disabled if needed. However, it is not recommended as it serves an important safety function in preventing potential damage to the power supply and connected equipment.

5. Are there any other benefits to using a Kepco Power Supply with Error Sensing?

Aside from the added safety and protection, a Kepco Power Supply with Error Sensing also offers improved accuracy and reliability in power output. This can be especially useful in sensitive scientific and industrial applications where precise and stable power supply is crucial.