Volunteering at an engineering firm/company

• Engineering
  • Thread starter driedupfish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the individual is a recent graduate in Civil Engineering looking for full-time employment. They have noticed that many job postings require experience in the field and are considering volunteering at local civil engineering firms. They are concerned about being a hassle to those working at the firm and potentially asking too many questions. Another potential option is to apply to larger A/E construction companies, like Bechtel, which offer a wide range of experiences and are willing to take on new graduates and interns.
driedupfish
I am a recent in Civil Engineering looking for full time. It seems that many jobs want someone with experience in their perspective field. So I want to find some volunteer work in some local civil Eng. firms. For those working in an engineering company and/or have worked with volunteers, do you find them to be a hassle? I'd imagine I would ask a lot of questions but I don't want to be an annoyance to those working there.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
In the early to mid 80s, I worked for Bechtel. They were great to work for, if you don't mind relocating as jobs finish. Although some assignments, like the nuclear power plants, can last a career. I've worked with startup engineers that had been on the same nuclear site for as long as 18 years. Bechtel used new grads too. Bechtel was large enough to take on newbee types and interns. You can get a very wide variety of experiences. I even worked as a radiological engineer at a waste sewage treatment plant. pew pew

So, if your having trouble getting into a smaller company that may not be able or willing to deal with a learning curve, look at the big A/E construction companies. Good luck.

What types of volunteer opportunities are available at engineering firms/companies?

Volunteering at an engineering firm/company can offer a variety of opportunities, including assisting with research and development projects, participating in community outreach programs, and providing administrative support. Some firms may also have specific volunteer programs for students or recent graduates.

How can volunteering at an engineering firm/company benefit my career?

Volunteering at an engineering firm/company can provide valuable hands-on experience and networking opportunities. It can also give you a chance to apply your skills and knowledge in a real-world setting, which can make you a more competitive job candidate in the future.

Do I need any specific qualifications to volunteer at an engineering firm/company?

Qualifications may vary depending on the specific volunteer opportunity, but typically, a background in engineering, science, or a related field is preferred. Some firms may also require certain skills or experience, such as proficiency in specific software programs or knowledge of a particular industry.

How can I find volunteering opportunities at engineering firms/companies?

You can research and reach out to specific engineering firms/companies to inquire about volunteer opportunities. Additionally, many organizations and associations, such as the IEEE and ASME, have volunteer programs that connect members with engineering firms/companies in need of volunteers.

Is there a time commitment required for volunteering at an engineering firm/company?

The time commitment for volunteering at an engineering firm/company can vary depending on the opportunity. Some positions may only require a few hours per week, while others may require a longer commitment. It's important to discuss and agree upon a time commitment that works for both you and the firm/company before starting your volunteer work.