How do I properly charge a VRLA battery?

In summary, the conversation is about charging a Valve Regulated Lead Acid battery and whether the "float" voltage of 2.25 Vpc is sufficient or if it needs to be "boosted" to 2.4 Vpc. The speaker has a battery with a capacity of 150Ah and a temperature of 20°, and is asking for advice on how to properly charge the battery. The other person recommends looking at the manufacturer's documentation, and provides a resource with more information. After reviewing the documentation, the speaker confirms that the "boost" treatment is not needed for VRLA batteries and expresses relief due to previous issues with overvoltages.
pocho
hello, pozdrav

my question is about Valve Regulated Lead Acid battery. may i charge it only with "float" voltage (cca 2,25 Vpc) or do i have to "boost" it (2,4 Vpc) sometimes? if my battery gets discharged to 20% can i recharge it only with "float" voltage?

i have capacity cca 150Ah, 220V; temperature is ideal 20°

thank you

hvala

Engineering news on Phys.org
This a pretty good white-paper on batteries. It says VRLA batteries generally do better at the recommended float voltage, and don't require "equalization" like a flooded lead acid. But I would look at the manufacturer's documentation to be sure.

http://www.apcmedia.com/salestools/SADE-5TNRJR_R2_EN.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you gtacs. this is a good resource. manufacturers documents are a bit confusing, i checked Sonnenschein and EnerSys websites.

it seems that "boost" treatment is not needed for VRLA. that is fine with me, because i had some trouble with overvoltages: boost_voltage x number_of_cells > voltage_tolerance.

thank you, have a nice day

1. How long does it take to fully charge a VRLA battery?

The time it takes to fully charge a VRLA battery depends on several factors, such as the size and capacity of the battery, the charging current, and the state of charge when charging begins. However, on average, it can take anywhere from 8 to 16 hours to fully charge a VRLA battery.

2. Can I charge a VRLA battery with a regular charger?

No, it is not recommended to charge a VRLA battery with a regular charger. VRLA batteries require a specific type of charger called a "float charger" or "trickle charger" that provides a constant low voltage charge to prevent overcharging and damage to the battery.

3. What is the recommended charging voltage for VRLA batteries?

The recommended charging voltage for VRLA batteries is 2.3-2.4 volts per cell. For example, a 12-volt VRLA battery would require a charging voltage of 13.8-14.4 volts. It is important to use a charger with a voltage regulator to ensure the correct charging voltage is maintained.

4. Can I overcharge a VRLA battery?

Yes, it is possible to overcharge a VRLA battery if it is not charged with the correct voltage or if it is left on the charger for too long. Overcharging can lead to damage to the battery, decreased lifespan, and even a risk of explosion. It is important to use a charger specifically designed for VRLA batteries and to monitor the charging process closely.

5. How do I know when a VRLA battery is fully charged?

When a VRLA battery is fully charged, the charging current will drop to a very low level (usually less than 0.05 amps). Some chargers also have a built-in indicator or light that will turn off when the battery is fully charged. It is important to monitor the charging process and not leave the battery on the charger for an extended period of time after it has reached full charge.