Find the Hypotenuse of a Red Triangle - Urgent Help Needed

In summary: I assumed as well. Thanks for clearing that up!In summary, the diagram does not have enough clarity to answer this question.
hgphtgi
Hello Guys

could you please help me to find the hypotenuse for the red triangle please.

regards

Attachments

• lst.JPG
    lst.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 487
Physics news on Phys.org
you have a 3-4-5 right triangle the hyp is bisected

with a little thought you have the answer before you

jedishrfu said:

thanks jedishrfu for your reply but can you explain to me more, because i did't understand what did you mean pls.

regards

First use the Pythagorean theorem to solve for the hypotenuse of the left triangle, you will get the ratios of all the sides you need and solving for (??) will be a simple algebra problem.

There is NO red triangle. What you have in red is a trapezoid. Do you mean the triangle all the way up to the vertex of the large triangle? If so, you know that its legs have length 3 and 4 and you can find the length of the hypotenuse using the Pythagorean theorem. If you actually mean the length of the red section as shown, you will need more information. jedishrfu is assuming that the red goes half way up the small triangle but I don't see any reason to assume that.

By the way- with the lengths as given, the angle can't be exactly 40 degrees, though it is pretty close- about 38.6 degrees.

Is it possible that the large triangle isn't a right triangle?

There is nothing that I see to indicate that it has to be.

yes, good point. why mention theta=40 and not show the right angle? This is another one of those "don't trust the diagram" problems. I retract my original suggestion, I was fooled by the apparent 3-4-5 triangle.

jedishrfu said:

jedishrfu said:
yes, good point. why mention theta=40 and not show the right angle? This is another one of those "don't trust the diagram" problems. I retract my original suggestion, I was fooled by the apparent 3-4-5 triangle.

the angle i assumed it, not real value. Got it? please help guy

tnx

hgphtgi said:
the angle i assumed it, not real value. Got it? please help guy

tnx

if you're saying its a rt triangle then you have the answer from my original post

jedishrfu said:
if you're saying its a rt triangle then you have the answer from my original post

Not unless you know how far up the little triangle the red goes.

hgphtgi said:
Hello Guys

could you please help me to find the hypotenuse for the red triangle please.

regards

HallsofIvy said:
There is NO red triangle. What you have in red is a trapezoid. Do you mean the triangle all the way up to the vertex of the large triangle? If so, you know that its legs have length 3 and 4 and you can find the length of the hypotenuse using the Pythagorean theorem. If you actually mean the length of the red section as shown, you will need more information. jedishrfu is assuming that the red goes half way up the small triangle but I don't see any reason to assume that.

By the way- with the lengths as given, the angle can't be exactly 40 degrees, though it is pretty close- about 38.6 degrees.
Here's that image displayed directly:
attachment.php?attachmentid=49262&d=1342981485.jpg

There's a red trapezoid, but as HallsofIvy said, there's no red triangle !

I feel like the diagram doesn't have nearly enough clarity to answer this question.

Are the sides of the quadralateral in the bottom right of the triangle perpindicular to the sides of the triangle, or is the quad a parallelgram?

Villyer said:
I feel like the diagram doesn't have nearly enough clarity to answer this question.

Are the sides of the quadralateral in the bottom right of the triangle perpindicular to the sides of the triangle, or is the quad a parallelgram?

yes Villyer , the quadrilateral is perpendicular to the sides of the triangle.

Tq

1. How do I find the hypotenuse of a red triangle?

To find the hypotenuse of a red triangle, you can use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In other words, c² = a² + b², where c is the length of the hypotenuse and a and b are the lengths of the other two sides.

2. What is the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem is a mathematical formula that relates the sides of a right triangle. It states that the square of the length of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.

3. How do I know if a triangle is a red triangle?

A red triangle is a triangle that has one angle measuring 90 degrees and two other angles that are acute (less than 90 degrees). The sides of a red triangle can be of any length, as long as they follow the Pythagorean theorem.

4. Can I use any color triangle to find the hypotenuse?

Yes, the color of the triangle does not affect the calculation of the hypotenuse. As long as the triangle follows the rules of a right triangle, which includes having one 90 degree angle and two acute angles, you can use any color triangle to find the hypotenuse.

5. Do I need to know the lengths of all sides to find the hypotenuse?

No, you only need to know the lengths of two sides of a right triangle to find the hypotenuse using the Pythagorean theorem. If you know the length of the hypotenuse and one other side, you can also calculate the length of the missing side using the formula c² = a² + b².