PDE with oscillating boundary conditions

In summary, the conversation discusses a partial differential equation with given boundary conditions and its solution. It is confirmed that the complete solution can be obtained by adding together solutions satisfying pieces of the boundary conditions.
robl123
Hi,

Say I have this pde:

[itex]u_t=\alpha u_{xx}[/itex]
[itex]u(0,t)=\sin{x}+\sin{2x}[/itex]
[itex]u(L,t)=0[/itex]

I know the solution for the pde below is v(x,t):

[itex]v_t=\alpha v_{xx}[/itex]
[itex]v(0,t)=\sin{x}[/itex]
[itex]v(L,t)=0[/itex]

And I know the solution for the pde below is w(x,t)

[itex]w_t=\alpha w_{xx}[/itex]
[itex]w(0,t)=\sin{2x}[/itex]
[itex]w(L,t)=0[/itex]

Would the complete solution be u(x,t)=v(x,t)+w(x,t)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your first boundary conditions are screwed up: the left side is a function of t and the right side is a function of x. Assuming you fix that, then yes, functions satisfying pieces of the boundary conditions can be added together just as you've done. You can confirm thus just by substituting [itex]u[/itex] into the original PDE and using the linearity of differentiation.

Thanks!

I was worried I was doing it wrong. I meant to write [itex]u(0,t)=\sin{t}+\sin{2t}[/itex] , ...

1. What is a PDE with oscillating boundary conditions?

A PDE (Partial Differential Equation) with oscillating boundary conditions is a type of mathematical model that describes the behavior of a system over time, where the boundaries of the system are constantly changing in a periodic or oscillating manner.

2. What are some examples of systems that can be modeled using PDEs with oscillating boundary conditions?

Some examples include the behavior of fluids in pipes with moving boundaries, the motion of vibrating strings or membranes, and the propagation of electromagnetic waves in materials with varying electrical properties.

3. How are PDEs with oscillating boundary conditions solved?

There are various techniques for solving PDEs with oscillating boundary conditions, such as separation of variables, Fourier series, and Laplace transforms. The specific method used depends on the specific problem and boundary conditions.

4. What are the challenges in solving PDEs with oscillating boundary conditions?

One of the main challenges is that the boundary conditions are constantly changing, making it difficult to find a general solution. Additionally, the oscillating nature of the boundary conditions can introduce non-linearity and lead to more complex solutions.

5. What are some applications of PDEs with oscillating boundary conditions in real-world problems?

PDEs with oscillating boundary conditions have a wide range of applications, including modeling the flow of blood in arteries, predicting the behavior of oscillating structures in engineering, and understanding the dynamics of ocean currents. They are also used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to study the behavior of complex systems.