I saw an article in New Scientist re CBR

In summary, the New Scientist article discusses the uniformity of our universe, specifically the temperature of the microwave background radiation that fills the cosmos. Despite being nearly 28 billion light years apart, the edges of the visible universe have the same temperature, which may suggest a spherical universe where the origin of the microwaves is the center. However, further research is needed to fully understand this phenomenon.
Dayle Record
I saw an article in New Scientist...

This is a piece from it.

OUR universe appears to be unfathomably uniform. Look across space from one edge of the visible universe to the other, and you'll see that the microwave background radiation filling the cosmos is at the same temperature everywhere. That may not seem surprising until you consider that the two edges are nearly 28 billion light years apart and our universe is only 14 billion years old.

My question is this, wouldn't that just be a description of a spherical universe, the two numbers mentioned kind of hint at that. 14 billion is 1/2 of 28 billion, so if the universe is a sphere, then the origin of the microwaves would be the center of the sphere and yes it would be uniform throughout. If the sphere had a finite edge of some sort then the radiation would stay at some steady state, whatever. I am sure there is someone here that can through some visible electromagnetic radiation on this!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Dayle Record said:
My question is this, wouldn't that just be a description of a spherical universe, the two numbers mentioned kind of hint at that. 14 billion is 1/2 of 28 billion, so if the universe is a sphere, then the origin of the microwaves would be the center of the sphere and yes it would be uniform throughout. If the sphere had a finite edge of some sort then the radiation would stay at some steady state, whatever.

Check here.

Last edited:

What is CBR?

CBR stands for "Cosmic Background Radiation". It is a type of radiation that is present throughout the universe and is believed to be the remnants of the Big Bang.

How is CBR detected?

CBR is detected using specialized instruments, such as telescopes and satellites, that can measure the faint signals of radiation in the universe. These instruments are designed to filter out other sources of radiation and focus specifically on CBR.

What can CBR tell us about the universe?

CBR is an important tool for studying the universe. By analyzing its properties, scientists can learn more about the origins and evolution of the universe, as well as the distribution of matter and energy within it.

Why is CBR important in cosmology?

CBR is important in cosmology because it provides evidence for the Big Bang theory, which is the most widely accepted explanation for the origins of the universe. CBR also helps to support other cosmological theories and provides valuable data for ongoing research.

How does CBR impact our daily lives?

CBR does not directly impact our daily lives, as it is a type of radiation that is only detectable through specialized equipment. However, the information gathered from CBR research can help us better understand the universe and our place in it, which can have a profound impact on our perspective and understanding of the world.