Proving a sequence is a cauchy sequence in for the 7 -adic metric

In summary: This can be simplified to$$x_n-x_m=7^{m+1}\frac{7^{n-m}-1}{6}.$$In summary, the problem is to show that the sequence (xn)n\inN \inZ given by xn = Ʃ from k=0 to n (7n) for all n \in N is a cauchy sequence for the 7 adic metric. This can be done by finding the largest power of 7 that divides x_n-x_m and simplifying to show that it is less than ε for a given ε > 0.
porroadventum

Homework Statement

Show that the sequence (xn)n[itex]\in[/itex]N [itex]\in[/itex]Z given by xn = Ʃ from k=0 to n (7n) for all n [itex]\in[/itex] N is a cauchy sequence for the 7 adic metric.

Homework Equations

In a metric space (X,dx) a sequence (xn)n[itex]\in[/itex]N in X is a cauchy sequence if for all ε> 0 there exists some M[itex]\in[/itex]N such that dx(xn,xm)<ε for all m,n ≥ M.

the 7-adic metric is defined as follows:
p(m,n)= 1/(the largest power of 7 dividing m-n) if m[itex]\neq[/itex]n or 0 if m=n

The Attempt at a Solution

I am struggling with proving sequences are cauchy because I am not sure how to go about finding the 'M'? I am not even sure how to start the question apart from assuming m<n. Just a hint at how to start it or how to approach the question would be appreciated.

Assuming m<n am I able to write d7(xn,xm)=Ʃ from k=m+1 to n (7n)?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
porroadventum said:

Homework Statement

Show that the sequence (xn)n[itex]\in[/itex]N [itex]\in[/itex]Z given by xn = Ʃ from k=0 to n (7n) for all n [itex]\in[/itex] N is a cauchy sequence for the 7 adic metric.

Homework Equations

In a metric space (X,dx) a sequence (xn)n[itex]\in[/itex]N in X is a cauchy sequence if for all ε> 0 there exists some M[itex]\in[/itex]N such that dx(xn,xm)<ε for all m,n ≥ M.

the 7-adic metric is defined as follows:
p(m,n)= 1/(the largest power of 7 dividing m-n) if m[itex]\neq[/itex]n or 0 if m=n

The Attempt at a Solution

I am struggling with proving sequences are cauchy because I am not sure how to go about finding the 'M'? I am not even sure how to start the question apart from assuming m<n. Just a hint at how to start it or how to approach the question would be appreciated.

Assuming m<n am I able to write d7(xn,xm)=Ʃ from k=m+1 to n (7n)?

Thank you.
So to calculate ##p(x_n,x_m)##, you need to find the largest power of 7 that divides ##x_n-x_m##?

That sum at the end is ##x_n-x_m##, right? Can you take ##7^{m+1}## outside of the sum, and then do something fun with the sum you have left.
$$x_n-x_m=\sum_{k=m+1}^n 7^k=7^{m+1}(1+7+\cdots+7^{n-m-1}).$$

Last edited:

1. What is a Cauchy sequence in the 7-adic metric?

A Cauchy sequence in the 7-adic metric is a sequence of numbers that gets arbitrarily close to each other as the terms of the sequence increase. In other words, for any positive integer n, there exists a term in the sequence that is within 7^n distance from all succeeding terms.

2. How is a sequence proven to be a Cauchy sequence in the 7-adic metric?

A sequence can be proven to be a Cauchy sequence in the 7-adic metric by showing that for any positive integer n, there exists a term in the sequence that is within 7^n distance from all succeeding terms. This can be done using the definition of a Cauchy sequence and the properties of the 7-adic metric.

3. What is the significance of proving a sequence to be a Cauchy sequence in the 7-adic metric?

Proving a sequence to be a Cauchy sequence in the 7-adic metric is important in analyzing the convergence of the sequence. A Cauchy sequence is a necessary but not sufficient condition for convergence, so proving a sequence to be a Cauchy sequence helps in determining if the sequence converges in the 7-adic metric.

4. What are the properties of the 7-adic metric that are used in proving a sequence to be a Cauchy sequence?

The properties of the 7-adic metric that are used in proving a sequence to be a Cauchy sequence include the ultrametric inequality, the triangle inequality, and the multiplicative property. These properties help in showing that for any positive integer n, there exists a term in the sequence that is within 7^n distance from all succeeding terms.

5. Can a sequence be a Cauchy sequence in one metric but not in another?

Yes, a sequence can be a Cauchy sequence in one metric but not in another. This is because the definition of a Cauchy sequence depends on the specific metric being used. A sequence can be a Cauchy sequence in the 7-adic metric but not in the usual Euclidean metric, for example.