How Can I Connect a VCR to a Computer with USB and Firewire Capability?

• Thread starter Lyuokdea
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, USB and Firewire are the two available methods of connecting a VCR to a computer. The computer should have come with a dongle which allows you to input s-video or composite. There are numerous adapters available, but the best one is likely the one that plugs into the computer's USB or firewire port and has a rca to md9p connector.
Lyuokdea
I am going to be splitting the cost of buying a DVD burner with my Dad, my Dad says that the burner must be able to connect to a VCR so that he can copy our aging Home Videos over to DVD's. What is the best way to connect a VCR over to a computer? The computer I am looking at putting it on has USB and Firewire capability, it has an S-Video port, but it has some 9 pin port that no store in the world carries (trust me, I've looked). Is there a good adapter that to switch the 3 port red white and yellow cables from a VCR over to a USB or some other port, or is there possibly an external DVD player that can be connected directly to a VCR? Thanks for your help in advance.

Computer science news on Phys.org
After looking high and low I think i found exactly what your looking for. What you have isn't s-video , it is mini-din 9 pin which usually comes with nvidia cards.

So here is where you can buy the RCA to MD9P connector:

http://www.excaliberpc.com/product_info.php?cPath=156_162&products_id=1055

The good thing is it is only $6.99 plus a little tax.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
That dongle is a proprietary adapter which allows you to input s-video or composite. The computer should have come with it. Lyuokdea, are you sure that's video-in?

Anyway, if you can figure out what inputs (if any - not all computers have video in) then you just match it to the output of your vcr or camera. S-video is better than composite, so use that if you can. If one is s-video and the other is composite, get an adapter at Radio Shack.

The red and white are audio and you plug them into your sound card via the appropriate rca-stereo 1/8" adapter.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage_n.asp?Product_ID=1426&Langue_ID=7

Get one of these. It plugs into a USB port, and you can plug your vcr/console game/tv output/digital cam/recorder directly into it. Walmart has a cheaper version, I think it is like $59.

After that, you need some kind of stream ripping software to capture the video. You can record it strait to your hd, and then burn them in ISO or get some dvd converter.

Once you get your vcr hooked up to your pc, send me some email I'll be glad to help you with the particulars.

What is the purpose of connecting a VCR to a computer?

The purpose of connecting a VCR to a computer is to transfer old VHS tapes onto a digital format, allowing for preservation and easier access to the content.

What equipment is needed to connect a VCR to a computer?

To connect a VCR to a computer, you will need a VCR player, a computer with a video capture card or USB video capture device, and the necessary cables (typically RCA or HDMI).

Can any computer be used to connect to a VCR?

Yes, as long as the computer has a video capture card or USB video capture device and the appropriate software, it can be used to connect to a VCR.

How do I transfer VHS tapes to my computer?

To transfer VHS tapes to your computer, you will need to connect the VCR to the computer using the appropriate cables, open the video capture software on your computer, and press play on the VCR. The software will then record the video onto your computer.

What is the quality of the transferred video from VCR to computer?

The quality of the transferred video from VCR to computer will depend on the quality of the original VHS tape and the capabilities of your video capture device. However, in most cases, the digital version will have a higher quality than the VHS tape due to the preservation of the content.