Question regarding scanned images in texts

• Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Images
In summary, Peter was looking for a way to include a small diagram into a post without having to open a pdf file. He found a way to do it using the Mac OS Grab utility and the Preview application.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Some time ago I posted the following:

"Can someone give me an idea of how to include (the scan of) a small diagram - say 1/4 to 1/3 of the size of an A4 page (thus not the whole page) - into a post - in such a way as the diagram is visible to the reader - that is he/she does not have to open a pdf file.

Peter "

I got some helpful answers and began to use the Irfan image editor.

But now I am at a different location and only have access to a Mac.

All I want to do is select a small portion of an A4 pdf and post the selected text as a PNG file in a post - but (really strangely given Mac's reputation) I cannot find software for this simple task.

Can anyone suggest software and a process to do the above.

Hope someone can help.

Peter

Computer science news on Phys.org
Mac OS comes with a Grab utility that you can use to capture a selection from the screen and save it as a TIFF file. Then you can use the Preview utility to convert it to a PNG.

1. Open the PDF file and display the page that you want to capture the image from.

2. Find Grab in the Applications --> Utilities folder, and launch it.

3. From the Capture menu, choose Selection.

4. Drag the mouse over the section of the screen that you want to capture. A window will appear with an image of your selection.

5. From the File menu, choose Save, which saves the image as a TIFF file, in a location you can choose.

6. Quit from Grab.

7. In the Finder, double-click the TIFF file. It should open up in the Mac OS Preview application.

8. From the File menu, choose Export. In the Format dropdown menu, you can choose PNG.

Likes 1 person
Thank you ... Really appreciate your help ...

Peter

Use the Help Center!

attachment.php?attachmentid=69815&stc=1&d=1400132366.png

The above instructions will drop a file on your desktop labeled "Screen Shot <date> at <time>". That might be good enough. Then again, it might be a bit big. To change the size of the image, open it with Preview, click on Tools and select "Adjust Size ...". Now adjust the size.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-15 at 12.37.43 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-15 at 12.37.43 AM.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 578
Likes 1 person
Thank you ... That is most helpful advice ... Peter

1. What is the purpose of scanning images in texts?

The purpose of scanning images in texts is to convert physical images into digital format. This allows for easier storage, editing, and sharing of images within a text document.

2. How does scanning an image affect the quality of the image?

Scanning an image can affect the quality of the image depending on the resolution and settings used during the scanning process. Higher resolution scans will result in a clearer and more detailed image, while lower resolution scans may result in a loss of quality.

3. Can scanned images be edited or modified?

Yes, scanned images can be edited and modified using image editing software. However, the quality of the edited image may be affected depending on the original quality of the scanned image.

4. Are there any limitations to scanning images in texts?

Yes, there are limitations to scanning images in texts. The quality of the scanned image may be affected by factors such as the condition of the original image, the resolution and settings used during scanning, and the capabilities of the scanning device.

5. How do I ensure the accuracy of scanned images in texts?

To ensure the accuracy of scanned images in texts, it is important to use high-quality scanning equipment and adjust the settings to the appropriate resolution for the image. It is also recommended to review the scanned image and make any necessary edits or adjustments before finalizing the document.