Electron double Slit Experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses the classic double slit experiment in physics and how physicists have observed the behavior of electrons during the experiment. The results showed that even when firing electrons one at a time, they still formed a wave-like pattern. When the physicists observed each slit, the electron began to behave like a particle. The conversation also mentions that the interference effect varies among different particles, with photons retaining it better than electrons.
BenGoodchild
Hey guys,

I was reading, as you do, a bit of physics on the classic double slit experiment - this was a simple example that was in the article, however it got me thinking.

I remember reading about some physicsts performing the experiment with electrons.
now I also think I remember that when they fired many electrons, they got the typical resuls for when you fire a wave at the experiment. This was true even when they slwoed the rate of electron release down to one electron at a time. Even with one electron passing through, a wave type patter was formed. So the physicsts began to watch each slit to see exactly what was happening, however, as soon as they did, the electron began to behave like a particle.

Now my question are thus,
Is my remembering of the facts correct? Is the explanation that the observer, in the act of oberving, causes the electron to change its behaviour?

- Ben

Physics news on Phys.org
That's right, although talk of observers and observing as being important comes from older ways of looking at the experiment. It's the particle interacting with other particles that is important. :smile:

You get similar results for a single electron, a single photon and even a single molecule made from dozens of atoms. They keep or lose the interference effect to different degrees, though.

Photons keep their interference effect much, much better than electrons, for example.

Last edited:

Hi Ben,

Yes, your recollection of the double slit experiment with electrons is correct. It is a classic experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter, meaning that particles such as electrons can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. This phenomenon is a key aspect of quantum mechanics.

The experiment you described, where physicists observed the electron passing through the slits, is known as the "observer effect." This effect occurs because the act of observing the electron changes its behavior. This is due to the fact that the electron is not just a particle, but also a wave. When it is not being observed, it behaves like a wave and can pass through both slits simultaneously, creating the interference pattern. However, when it is observed, the wave function collapses and the electron behaves like a particle, only passing through one slit.

This experiment highlights the strange and counterintuitive nature of quantum mechanics, where the behavior of particles can be influenced by the act of observation. It also raises philosophical questions about the role of consciousness in shaping reality.

I hope this helps clarify the experiment and its implications. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and sparking this discussion!

What is the electron double slit experiment?

The electron double slit experiment is a fundamental experiment in quantum mechanics that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of matter. It involves shooting a beam of electrons through two slits onto a screen and observing the resulting interference pattern, similar to the classic double slit experiment with light.

How does the electron double slit experiment work?

In the electron double slit experiment, a beam of electrons is fired through two parallel slits onto a screen. The electrons act as particles, but their wave-like nature causes them to diffract and interfere with each other, creating an interference pattern on the screen. This pattern is only observed when the electrons are not being observed or measured, demonstrating the concept of wave-particle duality.

What is the significance of the electron double slit experiment?

The electron double slit experiment is significant because it provides strong evidence for the wave-particle duality of matter, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It also challenges our classical understanding of particles and waves, and has implications for the behavior of matter at the subatomic level.

Can the electron double slit experiment be performed with other particles?

Yes, the electron double slit experiment can be performed with other particles, such as photons, neutrons, and even large molecules. Each type of particle will exhibit its own unique interference pattern, providing further evidence for the wave-particle duality of matter.

What are the applications of the electron double slit experiment?

The electron double slit experiment has applications in various fields, including quantum mechanics, particle physics, and even technology. It has helped us understand the behavior of matter at the subatomic level, and has led to the development of technologies such as electron microscopy and electron lithography.