Troubleshooting: Reinstalling Windows - CD-ROM Boot Issues

In summary: Kubuntu is a Linux distribution that is designed to be easy to use. It has a variety of features, such as a liveCD and a install CD, which you can use to see how it works before partitioning your hard drive.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm trying to reinstall windows, but on reboot I can't start from the particular CD-rom (other CD-roms do work on reboot, but I need this one).

It says: Boot CD-ROM type: Non-Emulation Booting
Press a key if you want to start up your computer from cd-rom...

and then it hangs, the cd-rom never starts. Can I do something in the bios? This cd-rom was used previously to install windows on my computer, but I'm not sure whether we had this same problem and how it was fixed.

Computer science news on Phys.org
If so, make a DOS bootable CD with everything that you need to make the
hard drive DOS bootable with CD-ROM support.
I've just created a DOS bootbale CD and am able to boot from it. Formatting
the drive now - I should be able to install XP from command line?
(i386/winnt.exe)
That looks complicated, I'll wait for my personal advisor to come home before I ruin my laptop :smile:

Maybe you have to boot from a floppy with CD-ROM driver? :confused:

Its also possible that you burned the CD wrong (if you're using a burned copy that is)

I don't have a floppy drive :smile: the CD-rom was not burned, it is an original, the problem is that it's supposed to be for Dell computers only (they didn't give me a CD-rom only a license key, when I bought my computer (windows pre-installed)).

Well I hope your problem is solved swiftly and promptly :smile:

Yeah, I want to use my computer :cry: I already used another CD-rom with, what I thought, XP home edition on it. After the repartitioning, formatting and installing I found out it was XP professional edition so turned the house upside down for the real home edition.. in the meanwhile my computer is soul-less. I do have a complete system backup, but those CDs are at my parents' house.

Ever given Linux a try?

No, tell me about it (the thought did come up to just install linux, but I really don't know how it works). The idea I have of it, is that it's a lot of work to configure things and make stuff run on linux?

There is a learning curve, yes. But its fun if you like to play around with computers (like myself) and be in complete control of your system. There are even linux distros that run right off the CD and don't need to be installed onto a computer, such as Knoppix. If you want a feel for linux, I suggest trying Knoppix.

I did a quiz to find the most compatible http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/index.php [Broken] these were suggessted for me:

Mandriva ( http://www.mandrivalinux.org/ [Broken] )
Mandriva Linux, formerly known as Mandrake Linux, is a friendly Linux Operating System which specializes in ease-of-use for both servers and the home/office. It is freely available in many languages throughout the world.

MEPIS ( http://www.mepis.org/ )
MEPIS Linux is a desktop Linux system that is also easy to configure as a dedicated server. It is designed for both personal and business purposes. It includes cutting-edge features such as a live/installation/recovery CD, automatic hardware configuration, NTFS partition resizing, ACPI power management, WiFi support, anti-aliased TrueType fonts, a personal firewall, KDE, and much more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used Mandrive once, back when it was called Mandrake..It was alright, but I'm not too fond of it. Sorry I've never tried MEPIS. You would probably like Ubuntu . I just suggested Knoppix in my earlier post because you don't need to install it or anything, just run it off the CD.

So, since I'm repartitioning my hard drive, would it be smart to make an extra partition at this moment that I can install Linux on in the future if I want to? (so that I have one windows, one linux?) or is that a weird idea.

Thats what most people seem to do. :smile: I have my 20GB hard drive split with Ubuntu linxu on one partition and Windows XP pro on the other

Cool, how large do you suggest the linux partition needs to be?

You don't need to partition anything to run linux. You can run Linux off a LiveCD.

I would recommend Kubuntu for you Monique.

http://www.kubuntu.org/

At the bottom of the screen you'll see Install CD and LiveCD. Get the liveCD and burn it to see how you like it before partitioning your drive. It will be slower since it has to load up everything into ram, but you can get a good idea of how things work.

They have dutch support if you want it.

Last edited:
Monique said:
Cool, how large do you suggest the linux partition needs to be?

10GB + swap sounds reasonable

dduardo said:
You don't need to partition anything to run linux. You can run Linux off a LiveCD.

I would recommend Kubuntu for you Monique.

http://www.kubuntu.org/
That little green dragon is soooo cute! :approve: So why do you think Kubuntu is good for me (I never knew that linux is not one system).

Partitioning goes something like this:

512MB swap
32MB /boot
10GB or More /

If you decide to dual boot linux and windows make sure to install windows first, then during the linux installation when it asks you where you want to put grub, make sure you tell it to put it on the boot parition, not the MBR.

There are two flavors of Ubuntu: Ubuntu and Kubuntu. Ubuntu uses the Gnome desktop while kubuntu uses the kde desktop. I find new users prefer kde.

You can easily theme kde to look like a mac:

http://www.kde-look.org/content/pre3/21014-3.jpg [Broken]

Or like windows xp:

http://www.kde-look.org/content/pre1/1499-1.jpg [Broken]

Or whatever you want.

This evening people who themselves are advertising linux and critisizing microsoft are telling me that running linux on my laptop most likely is going to be more of a pain than a gain and that I should stick with windows :confused:

Is it going to be a pain to find the drivers that are compatable with linux? How large is the download of linux?

For one CD, it should be about 600-700 MB. What kinda hardware do you have? Some things may just work without needing a driver.

Last edited:
Take for instance my synaptics touchpad, the drivers are only supported by windows: http://www.synaptics.com/support/drive.cfm [Broken]

Then you have a chipset driver, a sound, modem, multimedia, network and video drivers..

Sorry if it sounded like I was trying to sell you Linux :tongue2:

Linux does an excellent job of automatic hardware detection, your computer hardware (aside from that synaptic touchpad thingy I guess) should be supported

Did you even get your Windows XP fixed yet? :confused:

Edit again...

I didn't know a touchpad was one of those things :confused: That will probably work

Last edited:
What laptop do you have? If you give me a specific model I can tell you exactly if linux will be able to support all the hardware.

Modern Linux distros are very good at detecting hardware. Even though the manufacturer won't produce drivers for linux, most of the time, if it is a common/standard hardware, you'll find that linux people have reverse engineered the hardware and written drivers themselves.

An EASYNOTE E3250 from Packard Bell. So where would I find those reverse engineered drivers? Just researching :smile:

I'm still working on the CD-rom, buffing it up with a nail polisher (what are those things called?) and polishing it with a paste made it bootable :approve: it seems to be installing windows right now...

The drivers are included as kernel modules on the cd or actuallly built into the kernel.

I haven't see anyone on the web with problems. The only complaints that people had were with the video card, but they were also using a really old version of linux. I did a search specifically for the video card and it looks like it is well supported now.

This thread is like an infomercial for Linux :smile:

omg, after everything I've been through... I can't activate my key.. nice.. I was just about to create an image to avoid all this major hassle and now this :cry:

see what customer service says tomorrow, otherwise linux it is..

Whichever OS you choose, have fun :smile: