Introductory explanation about dualities?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of dualities in physics, specifically in the context of string theory. The speakers recommend searching for information online and suggest a specific website as a resource. The concept of duality is explained as a transformation between two theories, with T-duality being particularly useful in string theory. The conversation also mentions the issue of finding up-to-date resources in a university setting. One speaker offers to send a textbook to the other.
Rebel
Someboy can give me an introductory explanation about dualities? I mean, what are, how works in theory and what physical sense do have it? I have to start some study about using dualities in linearized gravity, so i'll be very helped if you have too some basic literature at respect. Specifically i need a little bit (by now) about S-duality, but by now I am a lego in those themes.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
important correction

Sorry, I've tried to say somebody in first line, for it was causing confussion about sexual procedence and that stopped somepeople to reply and help. Thanks.

Hi Rebel

Please continue to be patient. There are many people who visit here from time to time who may be able to help you. I am not one of them.

I too am interested in dualities, and have tried to absorb what I can about them in my general reading. Have you tried the various search engines? There are many sources of information out there. What have you tried before you came here?

Maybe this will help?

http://plato.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/webglimpse.cgi?ID=1&nonascii=on&maxfiles=50&maxlines=30&maxchars=10000&query=duality [Broken]

Good hunting,

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
Rebel said:
Specifically i need a little bit (by now) about S-duality

As Richard's link makes clear, the term duality can mean many things. It sounds like you are really interested in String dualities. Have you looked at

http://www.superstringtheory.com/basics/basic6.html ?

Th

Kea said:
As Richard's link makes clear, the term duality can mean many things. It sounds like you are really interested in String dualities. Have you looked at
http://www.superstringtheory.com/basics/basic6.html ?

Yes Kea, I have, and actually it is the more instructive (in the basic level) reading I've got. My problem is that I'm in a University in Mexico where books are a little bit older, enough at least to don't pay so much attention to he subject (most being unaware of developments in string theory even in 1990's decade ). Actually, I need generallity about this dualities, although are not limited nor where first indicated for string theory. Thank you.

isn't it something like...

...for every particle there exists an equal and opposite particle in alternate spatial dimensions

personally I'd like to think we oscillate between two identical 3d universes at superluminal speed and that thought registers the change as movement...

...but it doesn't seem to resoante with some other stuff i think

so basically i don't really know...

...does anybody really know ?

mm

dubmugga said:
isn't it something like...

...for every particle there exists an equal and opposite particle in alternate spatial dimensions

personally I'd like to think we oscillate between two identical 3d universes at superluminal speed and that thought registers the change as movement...

...but it doesn't seem to resoante with some other stuff i think

so basically i don't really know...

...does anybody really know ?

I think it is more like having an equivalence between two theories under a transformation, what gives the same equations under a given transformation (duality transformation). There are several kinds of duality, but have became of special interest and help in string theory; specially T-Duality arises cause the compactification of the extra dimensions, and permits relate the two type II and the two heterotic string theories, relating a change proporcional to the radio of compactification to the other theory.

Rebel said:
My problem is that I'm in a University in Mexico where books are a little bit older...

Send me (via private email) your address and I will personally send you a couple of String theory textbooks.

Kea :smile:

1. What are dualities in science?

Dualities in science refer to the concept of two seemingly opposite or contradictory phenomena being interconnected and interdependent. This means that one cannot exist without the other, and they are actually two sides of the same coin.

2. How do dualities play a role in scientific research?

Dualities are important in scientific research because they allow scientists to make connections and find relationships between seemingly unrelated phenomena. This can lead to new insights and discoveries, and help expand our understanding of the natural world.

3. What are some examples of dualities in science?

Some examples of dualities in science include the wave-particle duality in quantum mechanics, the complementary nature of light and matter, and the duality of nature and nurture in the study of human behavior.

4. How do dualities challenge traditional scientific thinking?

Dualities can challenge traditional scientific thinking by forcing scientists to think beyond linear or binary explanations and consider the interconnectedness of different phenomena. They can also lead to paradigm shifts and new ways of understanding the natural world.

5. How can understanding dualities benefit society?

Understanding dualities can benefit society by allowing us to see the world in a more complex and interconnected way. This can lead to advancements in various fields, such as medicine, technology, and social sciences, and help us address complex issues facing our world today.