Coefficient of lift for a wing is CL

In summary, the coefficient of lift for a wing is determined by the chord and the wingspan. The lift would be over the entire span if there is no variation in the cord along the entire span.
physicsCU
OK, so the coefficient of lift for a wing is CL.

For an airfoil, it is cl.

How do I go from Lift for an airfoil to Lift for the whole wing? Is it just multiplying by the wingspan?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
You use the CL to calculate the force of lift. The lift would be over the entire span if there is no variation in the cord along the entire span.

I understand that part, but my book has L for the wing, and L' for the airfoil.

So, assuming that chord is constant, would L'*Span = L?

Show the definition of [tex]L[/tex] and [tex]L'[/tex]..?

I think I figured it out.

I found an equation that relates the L' to the position on the wing. By integrating that over the span, I ought to have the total lift of the wing. I can then use that to find my CL variable.

Now is there a way to solve for the limits if I know what the integral needs to equal? Other than guess and check?

Obviously the lower limit would be the negative of the upper limit.

BTW, the wing is continuous over the whole craft, the fuselage does not interfere with the wing at all.

physicsCU said:
Now is there a way to solve for the limits if I know what the integral needs to equal? Other than guess and check?
Obviously the lower limit would be the negative of the upper limit.
Not that I can think of off the top of my head. I would probably do trial and error. Then again, integration was always my bane. You might want to pose that question in the math forums.

Sounds good.

Oh, the equation I found applies only to elliptical wings. What would I do if the wing was a trapezoid?

L' = L'o*(.5*(b1+b2)*h)?

That equation being lift for an airfoil section any distance from the root.

If no one knows, not a big deal, i have a meeting with profs today.

1. What is the coefficient of lift (CL) for a wing?

The coefficient of lift refers to the ratio between the lift force generated by a wing and the dynamic pressure of the air flowing over it. It is a dimensionless quantity that is used to measure the efficiency of a wing in generating lift.

2. How is the coefficient of lift (CL) calculated?

The coefficient of lift is calculated by dividing the lift force (in Newtons) by the dynamic pressure of the air (in Newtons per square meter) and the wing's surface area (in square meters). This formula can be represented as CL = L / (0.5 * ρ * V^2 * A), where L is the lift force, ρ is the air density, V is the airspeed, and A is the wing's surface area.

3. What factors affect the coefficient of lift (CL) for a wing?

The coefficient of lift is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the wing, the angle of attack (the angle between the wing and the direction of the air flow), the airspeed, and the air density. Changes in any of these variables can alter the value of CL.

4. Why is the coefficient of lift (CL) important for a wing?

The coefficient of lift is an important measure for wings because it determines the amount of lift force that a wing can generate. A higher CL value means that the wing is more efficient at producing lift, which is crucial for aircraft to stay in the air and maintain altitude.

5. How does the coefficient of lift (CL) affect the performance of an aircraft?

The coefficient of lift has a direct impact on the performance of an aircraft. A higher CL value means that the wing can produce more lift, allowing the aircraft to fly at lower speeds, take off and land at shorter distances, and maneuver more easily. On the other hand, a lower CL value can result in reduced lift and poorer aircraft performance.