Can I use PC speakers with my TV set?

• Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc Set
In summary, you will need an audio adapter to connect your TV's audio output to your speakers, and a cable to connect the speakers to your PC. The speakers might have a volume control.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
What adapters or cables do I need?

Thank you for any responses.

Computer science news on Phys.org
If your TV has Audio RCA OUT or Headphone Jack then yes.

Do your speakers have an amplifier in them?
If not you need one unless the TV has speaker out (fairly rare).

My TV has headphone jack and "audio out," but no speaker out.

If I use the headphone jack, do I still need an amplifier? (Headphones don't have amplifiers, do they?)

Headphones have very small power requirements.

If your PC speakers are not the powered kind, then the volume is going to be very low.
You'll be better off just using the TV internal speaker.

If your PC speakers are powered then, which jack you use might depend on how you want to manage volume control.

Audio out is fixed level and usually better sound thru an amp, while headphone jack is controlled by TV volume.

You can get adapters for either connection.

The PC speakers are powered. Does that mean they are ampliifed?

What kind of cable (or adapter) would work for audio output, any suggestion?

If they are powered, then yes, they would have an amplifier.
Do they have a volume control?
Are they designed to plug into the sound card speaker jack or the line out jack? Or either?

The TV most likely has RCA connectors for audio out.

What the speakers use? - could be most anything.
You would have to post a pic or model number.

No volume control, then use the headphone jack.
There is a special adaptor to convert headphone jack to line in if necessary.

Try Radio Shack if you have them where you are.
They have connecting cables as well as adaptors.
Don't waste your money on the fancy gold plated stuff.
Electrons don't care how pretty it looks.

The speakers do have volume control. As far as I can tell their cables have 1/8" jacks which plug into the sound card. I don't know whether they will also work with a line out. The TV has a red and a white out (and a yellow, which I understand to be for video).

I bought an RCA-to-1/8" Y cable (from RadioShack) and it worked. The Y cable has two RCA male jacks (1 red & 1 white) at one end, and a 1/8" male jack at the other. (I also bought a 1/8" to 1/8" F/F connector because I couldn't remember whether the speakers were male or female. As it turned out the speakers have a female 1/8" jack, so I didn't need the F/F connector.)

Thank you for your suggestions, NoTime!

Last edited:

1. Can I use any PC speakers with my TV set?

It depends on the type of connection your TV and PC speakers have. If both have a 3.5mm audio jack or Bluetooth capability, then you can use any PC speakers. However, if your TV only has RCA or HDMI output, you will need to purchase a converter to use with your PC speakers.

2. Do I need to adjust the settings on my TV to use PC speakers?

In most cases, you will need to adjust the audio settings on your TV to use PC speakers. This may involve changing the audio output to external speakers or adjusting the volume levels. Refer to your TV's manual for specific instructions on how to do this.

3. Will using PC speakers affect the sound quality of my TV?

The sound quality may vary depending on the quality of your PC speakers and the audio output of your TV. Generally, using PC speakers will provide better sound quality than the built-in speakers of your TV. However, if the audio output of your TV is poor, it may affect the sound quality of your PC speakers as well.

4. Can I use my TV remote to control the volume of PC speakers?

If your PC speakers have a remote control, you can use it to adjust the volume. However, if your PC speakers do not have a remote, you will need to use the volume control on the speakers themselves. The volume control on your TV remote will not work with external speakers.

5. Can I connect multiple PC speakers to my TV?

It is possible to connect multiple PC speakers to your TV, but it will depend on the audio output of your TV and the number of inputs on your PC speakers. You may need to use a splitter or amplifier to connect multiple speakers. Be sure to check the specifications of your TV and PC speakers before attempting to connect multiple speakers.