What are the details for PF Chat Days?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, this chat room is for people who want to talk about physics, science, and related topics. There are two chat rooms, one for general chat and one for science chat. There is a link on the homepage to the chat room that will be displayed on the chat day. There are snacks and drinks available for those who attend the chat. A slow typer should be able to get by in the chat room.
Evo said:
That's a good point. Greg?

Will some members not have like "mod" stats? Then they can just boot unwanted visitors. I mean the time period in which it is open is quite narrow.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
That's a good point. Greg?

Staff will obviously have "mod powers". If people are really worried then I think we can have HH's and SA's receive them as well.

Ivan Seeking said:
There is going to be a Star Trek Enterprise marathon on all day Sunday. So I guess that means we won't be seeing you online?

:rofl: That was when I finally gave up on watching Star Trek. But, maybe I'll tune into that when I'm not chatting.

If it is SuperBowl Sunday, maybe we should have a third room for the sports fans to chat, make the predictions, let the rest of us know when the halftime commercials are on, etc.?

So close now! I haven't been this excited about physics in a while!
Greg Bernhardt said:
Staff will obviously have "mod powers". If people are really worried then I think we can have HH's and SA's receive them as well.

As caht won't be open for long periods of time it will be easier to mederate in general I feel. If there is a problem I'm sure things will be able to be arranged in a short period of time, especially with the initial interest.

Last edited:
_Mayday_ said:
So close now! I haven't been this excited about physics in a while!

As caht won't be open for long periods of time it will be easier to mederate in general I feel. If there is a problem I'm sure things will be able to be arranged in a short period of time, especially with the initial interest.

Glad you are excited! We should be good, atleast 4 staff will be active at the chat.

Bumping to remind everyone! 10am central time! Link will be posted in here and below the top nav bar.

bumped again!

What is the time central time now? 8am?

I think its 6 hours behind GMT so it'll be about 8:30.

90 Minutes! Do I just use the link provided? This is going to be awesome.

Yes I think Greg will be posting the link here and another on the main page.

So who's kicking off the PF pre-chat show?

Hurkyl said:
So who's kicking off the PF pre-chat show?

Yeah, keep them distracted a little longer. I'm just putting the finishing touches on the place, putting out some flowers on the mantle, getting the hors' doeuvres (sp?) ready to serve, pulling open the curtains, still got to tap the keg (can you believe they JUST showed up with it?)...*looks at watch* I better run, we only have an hour until the grand opening!

Moonbear said:
Yeah, keep them distracted a little longer. I'm just putting the finishing touches on the place, putting out some flowers on the mantle, getting the hors' doeuvres (sp?) ready to serve, pulling open the curtains, still got to tap the keg (can you believe they JUST showed up with it?)...*looks at watch* I better run, we only have an hour until the grand opening!

Don't forget to put some clothes on Moonbear:!)

Some instructions on getting started.

There is a font color palette just above the text box on the bottom underneath the chatroom. To the right is the Room list.

Background can be adjusted using Options > Theme, and that resets the font color to default.

Avatars are available for the Chat and Room list. Use Options > Effects, select an Avatar, and make sure the two boxes on the left are checked. Top one isn't, but the bottom one is by default.

Use the left mouse button on the name in the Room List to get a drop down menu of options to communicate with a particular member.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
There is a font color palette just above the text box on the bottom underneath the chatroom. To the right is the Room list.

Background can be adjusted using Options > Theme, and that resets the font color to default.

Avatars are available for the Chat and Room list. Use Options > Effects, select an Avatar, and make sure the two boxes on the left are checked. Top one isn't, but the bottom one is by default.

What happens if Avatars are picked by more than one person? or is this prevented in some way?

Chat is now open
https://www.physicsforums.com/chat/index.html

If you aren't automaticly logged into the chat, login using your normal PF username/password.

Last edited:
RonL said:
What happens if Avatars are picked by more than one person? or is this prevented in some way?
There is a limited number of Avatars, so there will very likely members with the same Avatar.

Combined with a multitude of text colours there shouldn't be too much confusion.

It's amazing, the sense of closeness with people you have never met.

my computer is locking up after a few minutes in the chat room--something about script using too much resources--oh well

The flash is a bit resource intensive.

The flash chat is using too much resources on my computer. It locks up whenever I try to enter a chat room. None of the buttons are working. I can't even type and send text. Its pretty funny too, when firefox starts up, the amount of memory it uses is about 25MB (google loaded), but with the chat loaded it goes up to 50MB! I usually quit the fox with anything above 70MB, after which it become sluggish.

Oh well, I guess no chat for me :(

Alas, all good things come to an end. That was fun! Tune in next week folks!

Well, that was really fun!

Thanks to everyone that joined and let's give a big THANK YOU to Greg for going to the trouble of setting this up!

I forgot my umbrella, let me back in!

Marlon kept getting back in after time was up. I only know because I also kept going back to make sure everyone was out. Really. That's the only reason I did that.

yea that was pretty neat. and informative about the $$ side of science.

Take down the sign. The shop is closed.

out of whack said:
Marlon kept getting back in after time was up. I only know because I also kept going back to make sure everyone was out. Really. That's the only reason I did that.

Hey, what the ...I BEAT THE SYSTEM !
Anyways, there were other people as well but you don't see me calling any names.

LAME man

I love the chat, see ya'll next week

Yes thank you Greg. Very good to interact in a new way.

I guess I'll go back to getting actual work done again. :frown:

marlon said:
Fight the power! Now we need to organize for next week. We can prevail! The room will NEVER close. Mwhaa-ha-ha!

I'm back! I suppose the universe will end in the same way...

marlon said:
Anyways, there were other people as well but you don't see me calling any names.

LAME manI love the chat, see ya'll next week

Woah, one up from a punk. You didn't smash the system you beat it. Is this weekly then? If so see you next week!