Finding the magnitude of an electric field at a distance from a surface charge

In summary, the electric field intensity at a distance of 0.15m from the axis of a long, straight conductor with radius of 0.03m and charge density of 4.0 C/m is 2.40*10^12 N/C.
NewtonianAlch

Homework Statement

Find the magnitude of the electric field intensity at a distance 0.15m from the axis of a long, straight conductor, which has radius 0.03m, and a charge density of 4.0 C/m.

Homework Equations

Eflux = E.A
Eflux = q/e0
q = sigma*h

The Attempt at a Solution

Eflux = E*Area
Thus, Eflux = E*2pi*r*h (Surface area of the gaussian cylinder we superimpose over the conductor)

Also, Eflux = q/e0 -> where e0 is the permittivity of free space and q is the enclosed charge in the gaussian surface.

q = sigma*h

Therefore we substitute for the q, and equate the two Eflux equations to get:

Eflux = E*2pi*r*h = sigma*h/e0

Solve for E and we get:

E = sigma/(2pi*r*e0)

Now we substitute the given values:

4/(2pi*(0.03)*(8.85*10^-12)) = 2.40*E12 or 2.40*10^12 N/C

I have no idea how to find the electric field at the distance 0.15m away from the surface. Please help! I would need the value of q to do this, however this is not a point charge we're dealing with but a surface charge, so I'm a bit lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you look back over your logic, you should see that the r you plug into the final formula is not the radius of the charged cylinder, it's the radius of the Gaussian surface, which is 0.15m. The radius of the cylinder is actually irrelevant.

Mike Pemulis said:
If you look back over your logic, you should see that the r you plug into the final formula is not the radius of the charged cylinder, it's the radius of the Gaussian surface, which is 0.15m. The radius of the cylinder is actually irrelevant.

Wow...I can't believe I didn't notice that inflating the imaginary Gaussian surface would give the required 'r' of 0.15m.

Though...why would they give the radius of the cylinder if it had no part in it?

To see if you would make this mistake. :smile: One note: as long as the Gaussian cylinder is outside the wire, the radius of the wire doesn't matter. But another common problem you may encounter is to find the E field inside the wire some distance from the center -- then, the radius of the wire matters.

Teachers do that alot. It's to confuse you and see that you really understand the problem.

Mike Pemulis said:
To see if you would make this mistake. :smile: One note: as long as the Gaussian cylinder is outside the wire, the radius of the wire doesn't matter. But another common problem you may encounter is to find the E field inside the wire some distance from the center -- then, the radius of the wire matters.

Hmm yea, I've noticed that kind of question appears to be common with coaxial wires.

Thank you for your help!

1. What is the equation for finding the magnitude of an electric field at a distance from a surface charge?

The equation is E = σ/2ε0, where E is the electric field, σ is the surface charge density, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

2. How do I determine the direction of the electric field at a certain distance from a surface charge?

The direction of the electric field is perpendicular to the surface charge at all points. To determine the direction, you can use the right-hand rule, where your thumb points in the direction of the electric field and your fingers curl in the direction of the surface charge.

3. Can the magnitude of the electric field be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of the electric field can be negative. This indicates that the electric field is pointing in the opposite direction of the surface charge.

4. How does the distance from the surface charge affect the magnitude of the electric field?

The magnitude of the electric field is inversely proportional to the distance from the surface charge. This means that as the distance increases, the magnitude of the electric field decreases.

5. What is the unit of measurement for the magnitude of the electric field?

The unit of measurement for the magnitude of the electric field is newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m).