Solving Multiple Integral Homework Statement

In summary: I dont know what to do In summary, the conversation discusses finding the mass of an empty space shaped as a cylinder inside a hemisphere with a given radius and density. The first task is to find the mass using cylinder coordinates, and the second task is to find the mass using sphere coordinates. The equations and attempts at solving the problems are also mentioned.
dengelanvil

Homework Statement

Ok, so I am going to French University, I have to translate in English.

There is a hemisphere with the radius of 2. Inside of it, there is an empty space shaped as a cylinder with the radius (a< 2) which is perpendicular to the base of the hemisphere. The density of each point is different. Note that the farthest point from the base is 4.

a) Find the mass using cylinder coordinates (do not evaluate the integral)

b) Find the mass using sphere coordinates (do not evaluate the integral)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation of the sphere is x^2+y^2+z^2=2 where z >= 0

For a) we have to find the density equation with the given situation.

p(x,y,z) = 2(x^2 + y^2 +z^2-2)

now we have to find the interval. Before that we should change
x to rcos(theta)
y to rsing(theta)
z = z

r must be a <= r <= 2
theta must be 0 <= theta <= 2*pi
and the interval of z must be

(2-a^2)^(1/2) <= z <= 2 coz x^2+y^2=a^2

Am I right?? I feel dumb,,,

and I have no idea how to do b)

Please can you help me out? Thank you http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5822/32344458.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dengelanvil said:

Homework Statement

Ok, so I am going to French University, I have to translate in English.

There is a hemisphere with the radius of 2. Inside of it, there is an empty space shaped as a cylinder with the radius (a< 2) which is perpendicular to the base of the hemisphere. The density of each point is different. Note that the farthest point from the base is 4.

a) Find the mass using cylinder coordinates (do not evaluate the integral)

b) Find the mass using sphere coordinates (do not evaluate the integral)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The equation of the sphere is x^2+y^2+z^2=2 where z >= 0
The equation of a sphere of radius r centered at the origin is ##x^2+y^2+z^2 = r^2##, so the righthand side should be equal to 4.

For a) we have to find the density equation with the given situation.

p(x,y,z) = 2(x^2 + y^2 +z^2-2)

now we have to find the interval. Before that we should change
x to rcos(theta)
y to rsing(theta)
z = z

r must be a <= r <= 2
theta must be 0 <= theta <= 2*pi
and the interval of z must be

(2-a^2)^(1/2) <= z <= 2 coz x^2+y^2=a^2
At the base, z=0, so for a fixed r and θ, z is going to go from 0 until it hits the sphere. So what should the upper limit for z be?

vela said:
The equation of a sphere of radius r centered at the origin is ##x^2+y^2+z^2 = r^2##, so the righthand side should be equal to 4.

At the base, z=0, so for a fixed r and θ, z is going to go from 0 until it hits the sphere. So what should the upper limit for z be?

We have to know the height of the cylinder.
The cylinder equation is x^2+y^2 = a^2 where a is the radius.

z must be from 0 to z=(2^2-a^2)^(1/2)

Am I right?

No, that's not correct. Which surface defines the top of solid?

vela said:
No, that's not correct. Which surface defines the top of solid?

Hemisphere surface without the base surface of the cylinder?

The upper limit of z is the hemisphere, so solve the equation of the sphere for z. That's your upper limit.

vela said:
The upper limit of z is the hemisphere, so solve the equation of the sphere for z. That's your upper limit.

I don;t think so
the maximum height (the value of z) depends on the height of cylinder.

z=2-( √(2-x^2-y^2) - a^2 )

****,,,this is confusing

What is a multiple integral homework statement?

A multiple integral homework statement is a mathematical problem that involves solving for the area under a surface or volume of a solid in multiple dimensions. It typically requires the use of multiple integrals, which are mathematical tools used to calculate the total value of a function over a given region.

Why do we use multiple integrals to solve these types of problems?

Multiple integrals are necessary for solving problems involving areas or volumes in multiple dimensions because they allow us to break down a complex shape into smaller, more manageable pieces. This allows us to find the total value of the function over the entire region, rather than just a single point or line.

What are the steps for solving a multiple integral homework statement?

The first step is to determine the limits of integration for each variable. This involves understanding the boundaries of the region in which the function is being evaluated. Next, set up the integral by writing out the function and its limits of integration. Then, evaluate the integral using appropriate methods such as Fubini's theorem or change of variables. Finally, check your answer and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving multiple integral homework statements?

One common mistake is forgetting to take into account the appropriate limits of integration for each variable. Another mistake is not setting up the integral correctly, such as using the incorrect order of integration. It is also important to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct formula for the problem.

What are some real-life applications of solving multiple integral homework statements?

Multiple integrals have numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to calculate the volume of a complex 3D structure, determine the center of mass of an object, or find the total amount of material needed for a construction project. They are also essential in solving differential equations, which have many practical applications in various scientific fields.