Irms, Vrms and power calculations

In summary: So for I*rms, you would just flip the sign of the angle from 30 to -30, resulting in an answer of 12angle-30. In summary, to calculate Irms and I*rms given a Vrms and an impedance Z, you can use the equation Irms = Vrms / Z. For I*rms, you just flip the sign of the angle from the calculated Irms value to get the final answer.
NoConflict

Homework Statement

Basically, I need to understand how to calculate Irms and I*rms given a Vrms and an impedance Z.

Example question:
Given Vrms = 120 V at an angle of 30° and an impedance of Z = 10 Ω, find Irms and I*rms.

Homework Equations

How exactly do I solve for Irms and I*rms?

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure that Irms = Vrms / Z. However I am a bit confused as to the I*rms.

From my notes, I would imply that I just flip the sign of the angle, but this does not seem right.

My attempt:

Irms = Vrms/Z = 120angle30/10angle0 = 12angle30
And for I*rms, just flip the sign of the angle: 12angle-30

Physics news on Phys.org
NoConflict said:

Homework Statement

Basically, I need to understand how to calculate Irms and I*rms given a Vrms and an impedance Z.

Example question:
Given Vrms = 120 V at an angle of 30° and an impedance of Z = 10 Ω, find Irms and I*rms.

Homework Equations

How exactly do I solve for Irms and I*rms?

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure that Irms = Vrms / Z. However I am a bit confused as to the I*rms.

From my notes, I would imply that I just flip the sign of the angle, but this does not seem right.

My attempt:

Irms = Vrms/Z = 120angle30/10angle0 = 12angle30
And for I*rms, just flip the sign of the angle: 12angle-30

Yup. basically that's it. I* represents the complex conjugate, which for a complex number means that the sign of the imaginary component of the number is inverted. This has the effect of inverting the sign of the angle in polar form.

What is the difference between Irms and Vrms?

Irms and Vrms are both measurements of current and voltage, respectively. The main difference is that Irms measures the average current over a period of time, while Vrms measures the average voltage. This is due to the fact that both current and voltage fluctuate over time, so taking an average provides a more accurate representation of the overall value.

How are Irms and Vrms calculated?

Irms is calculated by taking the square root of the mean squared value of the current over a period of time. Vrms is calculated in the same way, but with voltage instead of current. This means that both calculations take into account the amplitude and frequency of the current or voltage signal.

What is the relationship between Irms and Vrms?

Irms and Vrms are related by Ohm's Law, which states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance. This means that when the voltage increases, the current also increases, resulting in a higher Irms value.

How is power calculated using Irms and Vrms?

Power can be calculated by multiplying Irms and Vrms together. This is known as the "root mean square power" formula. It takes into account the fluctuations in current and voltage, providing a more accurate representation of the actual power being used.

Why are Irms and Vrms important in power calculations?

Irms and Vrms are important because they take into account the fluctuations in current and voltage, which can greatly affect the accuracy of power calculations. By using these average values, the power calculation is more precise and can be used to determine the actual power consumption of a device or system.