Is activity in radioactive decay a differential?

In summary: The equation dn/dt = -λN stated in words means 'the number of decays per second is proportional to the number of nuclei present'.This is the natural law of decay (or growth).If you have 1000 nuclei in a sample and there are 10 decays per second it sounds obvious that in a sample of 2000 nuclei there would be 20 decays per second...this is 'natural.In this case λ = 1/100 which means that the probability of a nucleus decaying is 1 in 100.λ is the probability of a decay.The equation dn/dt = -λN stated in words means 'the number of decays per second is proportional to the number of
Acid92
According to my textbook, the decay constant is the probability that a radionuclide will decay in any second (hence the unit s^-1) and so the total number of radionuclides decaying at any second, i.e. the activity, is λN but this is also the rate of change of N thus

dN/dt = -λN

Surely dN/dt can't be a differential since λN is the number of radionuclides decaying in a time interval of 1 second and not an instant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Naty1 said:
The decay constant — λ, "lambda" is the inverse of the mean lifetime...so it's unit is the reciprocal of time, but not one second...

See total activity A here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radioactive_decay#Radioactive_decay_rates

Yes I've looked at that but I am interested in its definition as the probability of decay (I looked around the internet and noticed this term being used but without the explanation I am looking for) as this is what my textbook introduces it as. My original post is how my textbook introduces it and the activity differential but it doesn't make sense to me...

Even that doesn't make sense to me, why isn't it (total activity) the number of decays at instantaneous time and not per unit time if we are talking about differentials?

The equation dn/dt = -λN stated in words means 'the number of decays per second is proportional to the number of nuclei present'.
This is the natural law of decay (or growth)
If you have 1000 nuclei in a sample and there are 10 decays per second it sounds obvious that in a sample of 2000 nuclei there would be 20 decays per second...this is 'natural.
In this case λ = 1/100 which means that the probability of a nucleus decaying is 1 in 100
λ is the probability of a decay.

truesearch said:
The equation dn/dt = -λN stated in words means 'the number of decays per second is proportional to the number of nuclei present'.
This is the natural law of decay (or growth)
If you have 1000 nuclei in a sample and there are 10 decays per second it sounds obvious that in a sample of 2000 nuclei there would be 20 decays per second...this is 'natural.
In this case λ = 1/100 which means that the probability of a nucleus decaying is 1 in 100
λ is the probability of a decay.

If λ is the probability of decay per unit time then the total decay per second will be λN, I understand that but then surely the activity can only be stated as

ΔN/Δt = λN NOT dN/dt which is a differential

If we want dN/dt, surely you would need the probability of decay in an instant (the limit as Δt tends to 0?) unless the probability of decay is independent of time intervel.

I don't understand how you say the total activity per unit time is dN/dt because this is a differential and gives the rate of change of N instantaneously and not per unit time as λN would be.

You seem to be misunderstanding the prase "total number of radionuclides decaying at any second"- and perhaps it is phrased badly. Precisely because nucleotides is random, that cannot actually be the number of radionuclides that decay. It has to be an "average" which is then saying that we are treating the rate at which radionuclides decay as if it were a constant. The slope of a straight line is the derivative.

HallsofIvy, I am not quite sure what youre saying.

Ok let me put this as simply as possible: Is the activity the average total number of decays per second, in other words the change in N per second, yes or no?

If yes, why is this (ΔN/Δt) the same as the instantaneous activity dN/dt?

If I were to draw a graph of N against t, wouldn't λN give me the gradient of the secant line over an intervel of 1 second and not the actual gradient at any point?

1. What is radioactive decay?

Radioactive decay is the process by which an unstable atomic nucleus loses energy and emits radiation in the form of alpha particles, beta particles, or gamma rays. This process results in the transformation of one element into another.

2. How does radioactive decay occur?

Radioactive decay occurs spontaneously without any external influence. It is a random process, and the rate of decay is determined by the half-life of the radioactive material.

3. What is the half-life of a radioactive material?

The half-life of a radioactive material is the time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample to decay. It is a characteristic property of each radioactive isotope and can range from fractions of a second to billions of years.

4. Is activity in radioactive decay a differential?

Yes, activity in radioactive decay is a differential because it is the rate at which radioactive materials decay over time, and it is defined as the change in the number of radioactive nuclei per unit time.

5. How is the activity of a radioactive material calculated?

The activity of a radioactive material can be calculated using the equation A = λN, where A is the activity, λ is the decay constant, and N is the number of radioactive nuclei present. The activity is measured in becquerels (Bq) or curies (Ci).