Improving Meteor Image Quality: Methods for Noise Reduction and Detection

In summary, there is no way to clean up the noise in the images with the camera without some kind of software. However, there are a few methods that can be used to determine if there is a meteor in the image.
solarblast
I'm using a small b/w digital video camera and frame grabber to catch images of meteors in maybe a 15x15 degree area. Typically noise is introduced into the frames. It is desirable to determine if the image contains a meteor, and clean up the noise in the frames. What methodology is available to do this? The camera has no way to use dark subtracts, stacking or related image processing methods. There is no way to, say, control the shutter other than to get 30 frames per second.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Do you have any image processing software? If not, you can download RegiStax for free.
http://www.astronomie.be/registax/

You can also make manual dark frames by covering the lens of the camera and shooting images at the same exposure time (or FPS) that you were using to image meteors.

Drakkith said:
Do you have any image processing software? If not, you can download RegiStax for free.
http://www.astronomie.be/registax/

You can also make manual dark frames by covering the lens of the camera and shooting images at the same exposure time (or FPS) that you were using to image meteors.

Thanks, but I'd prefer to write my own methods based on perhaps some well known algorithms. I know they exist. For example, determining the centroids along the path is one. I'm pretty sure there are noise clean-up methods, but don't know where to find them. I think they use a 3x3 matrix to move through the complete set of pixels, and average out the noise. It then replaces the pixels somehow to smooth out matters. Perhaps there are packages (functions, libraries) that have such methods. sharpen mask, blur, meridian filter, ...?

Here's something from my image processing book. It's the programming behind their basic noise filter:

FOR y = 1 to ymax - 1
FOR x = 1 to xmax - 1
k = 0
FOR i = -1 TO 1
FOR j = -1 TO 1
k = k + 1
neighbor (k) = old(x+i,y+j)
NEXT j
NEXT i
SORT neighbor ()
new (x,y) = old(x,y)
sigma = (neighbor(8) - neighbor(2)) / 2
IF old (x,y) > neighbor(5) + sigs * sigma THEN
new (x,y) = neighbor(5)
END IF
IF old (x,y) < neighbor(5) - sigs * sigma THEN
new (x,y) = neighbor(5)
END IF
NEXT x
NEXT y

Where sort is a function that sorts the array neighbor() into ascending order, sigma is the standard deviation, and sigs is a user-set parameter specifying the number of standard deviations allowed.
The loops in i and j load neighborhood pixels into the array neighbor starting with neighbor(1) and ending with neighbor(9). After sorting neighbor(9) contains the pixel with the highest value in the neighborhood.

This replaces a pixel if and only if it deviates from the neighborhood pixel values by a certain amount determined by the user-set sigs.

Ah, ha. Is that from the Berry-Burnell book on IP? I had forgotten all about it. It looks like stuff in Chapter 13-15. Is the program code on the DVD?

The Handbook of Astronomical Image Processing, by Richard Berry and James Burnell.
I don't know of any DVD however, mine only came with a CD containing the software.

Yes, a CD, but I do not see anyway to extract the computer code from it. I don't have AIP4WIN installed on this PC.

Richard Berry wrote the code was not associated with any computer language. Just pseudo code. Apparently, you copied the code above from the book.

In any case, I need to read two of the chapters above to see how this stuff works.

What is the purpose of improving the image of meteor?

The purpose of improving the image of meteor is to accurately educate the public about the nature and potential impact of meteors. This can help dispel myths and misconceptions surrounding meteors and promote a better understanding of their role in our solar system.

How can we improve the image of meteor?

One way to improve the image of meteor is through education and outreach programs that provide accurate information about meteors. This can include hosting public events, creating educational materials, and collaborating with media outlets to promote accurate portrayals of meteors.

Why is it important to improve the image of meteor?

Improving the image of meteor is important because it can help prevent unnecessary fear and panic about the potential dangers of meteors. By promoting a better understanding of meteors, we can also increase public interest and support for scientific research on these natural phenomena.

What are some common misconceptions about meteors?

Some common misconceptions about meteors include the belief that they are always large and destructive, that they are the same as shooting stars, and that they are extraterrestrial objects. In reality, most meteors are small and harmless, shooting stars are actually meteors burning up in Earth's atmosphere, and meteors are pieces of debris from comets or asteroids.

How can we address misconceptions about meteors?

Misconceptions about meteors can be addressed through education and outreach efforts. By providing accurate information and dispelling myths, we can promote a better understanding of meteors and their role in our solar system. It is also important to correct misinformation when it arises and to encourage critical thinking and fact-checking when it comes to information about meteors.