Odds of Identical DNA: Theoretically Possible?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    dna
In summary: I'll give a shot at considering the problem in a research-free fashion.In summary, the likelihood of two individuals having identical DNA is extremely small, with estimates ranging from 1 in 10^480000 to 1 in 10^30. This is due to the vast number of possible combinations of genetic variants and the low probability of these variants being distributed randomly and in equal proportions throughout the population. While it is not technically impossible for two humans to have the same DNA, the odds of this happening by chance are infinitesimal. The possibility of artificial engineering or asexual reproduction increases the chances slightly, but still remains highly unlikely.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Is it theoretically possible that two people not directly related could be born with identical DNA? I would imagine that there is always the chance of a series of mutations that make one person identical to another, but I have no sense of the magnitude of the odds of such an event - I assume they would be astronomical. I was also wondering if two different sets of parents could theoretically produce children with identical DNA.

Biology news on Phys.org
I'll give a shot at considering the problem in a research-free fashion.

Need:
# of bases in the human genome
average % difference in base sequence between siblings

Calculate the average number of bases different. Consider that the odds of randomly matching bases is 1/(4^n) where n is the number of random bases being compared.

Sound like a reasonable approach?

Likes 1 person
I have read (sorry, no citations) that although it is technically not IMpossible for two people to have the same DNA, the odds of any given living person having the same DNA as another living person are ... I forget what exact description was used, but your choice of "astronomical" (meaning, I assume, infinitesimal in this case) seems fitting.

Likes 1 person
Ygg said:
By sequencing the DNA from various individuals, scientists have found 15 million single nucleotide polymorphisms, 1 million short insertions and deletions, and 20,000 structural variants (The 1000 Genomes Project Consortium). Assuming each of these sites of variation has only two alleles and that none are synthetically lethal, this puts an estimate of the possible combinations from randomly assorting these variants at 2^(1.6x10^6) or 10^480000.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=721712

Likes 1 person
One in 10^480000 would be an upper bound on the probability of two individuals having the same DNA (the calculation was made in the context of estimating the number of possible human genome sequences). For this to be the actual probability would require 1) that these variants are distributed randomly throughout the population with respect to each other (many populations will likely share the same variants), and 2) that the variant and wild-type alleles are present in a 50-50 mixture throughout the population (many variants are likely rare).

Of course, the likelihood of two individuals having identical genomes is still infinitesimally small.

Likes 1 person
Just to complicate things a bit more: if the DNA in a single cell mutates, that mutation doesn't instantly alter every other cell in the body.

So what it the probability that even ONE person has totally "identical" DNA, let alone two people? (The answer obviously depends on the person's age - make whatever assumptions you want.).

phinds said:
I have read (sorry, no citations) that although it is technically not IMpossible for two people to have the same DNA, the odds of any given living person having the same DNA as another living person are ... I forget what exact description was used, but your choice of "astronomical" (meaning, I assume, infinitesimal in this case) seems fitting.

Note: infinitesimal means approaching zero.

Pythagorean said:
Note: infinitesimal means approaching zero.

That's good, since that is exactly the sense in which I used it.

Sorry for the implication, that was intended for the casual reader.

The odds of two people having the same DNA = the odds that they are clones.

PeroK said:

Do you have any evidence for that? It doesn't sound right to me. My understanding is that, as I said earlier, it is not technically impossible for two humans to have the same DNA. No cloning is required so the two are unrelated.

phinds said:
Do you have any evidence for that? It doesn't sound right to me. My understanding is that, as I said earlier, it is not technically impossible for two humans to have the same DNA. No cloning is required so the two are unrelated.

I only meant that, when probabilities get as low as this, then they reduce to the probability that the outcome is achieved not by chance.

I suppose, more precisely, it's:

The probability that two people have the same DNA = the probability that they were artificially engineered that way + the negligible probability that it happened naturally.

PeroK said:
I only meant that, when probabilities get as low as this, then they reduce to the probability that the outcome is achieved not by chance.

I suppose, more precisely, it's:

The probability that two people have the same DNA = the probability that they were artificially engineered that way + the negligible probability that it happened naturally.

Well, I disagree with your premise that two numbers deserve the equals sign just because they are both very small. By your reasoning, 10E-30 = 10E-50 and I argue that it does not.

If you want to just say they are both very small, I agree, but your careless use of the equals sign is not helpful.

PeroK said:

phinds said:
Clones, AFAI(&a short google search)K is a term for two genetically identical organisms with no clause about how they came to be genetically identical: artificially, by chance or through asexual reproduction.
phinds said:
Well, I disagree with your premise that two numbers deserve the equals sign just because they are both very small. By your reasoning, 10E-30 = 10E-50 and I argue that it does not.

If you want to just say they are both very small, I agree, but your careless use of the equals sign is not helpful.

His/her premise is rather that 10E-30 +10E-50 ≈ 10E-30 (I think)
10E-30 being analogous to probability of them being artificial clones and 10E-50 being analogous to them having same genetic matter naturally.

Though for the blue to be correct we would have to discount identical twins which is much more likelier than artificial cloning.

Enigman said:
His/her premise is rather that 10E-30 +10E-50 ≈ 10E-30 (I think)

Seems to me you are reading between the lines in a way that is not justified by the statement he/she made.

Ivan Seeking said:
I was also wondering if two different sets of parents could theoretically produce children with identical DNA.

Yes, and as the similarities between these sets of parents become higher, higher becomes the chance of children with identical DNA being produced.

Two people with the same DNA is already really unlikely, therefore we can go a bit further. But, if these parents have many differences in their DNA we would need more and more mutations for this to work. I don't think this can, mathematically at least, reach a point where it is impossible to have people with the same DNA, but it gets ridiculously unlikely.

1. What does it mean for two individuals to have identical DNA?

Having identical DNA means that the genetic information of two individuals is exactly the same. This includes the sequence of nucleotides in their DNA, which determines their physical traits, as well as any mutations or variations.

2. Is it possible for two individuals to have completely identical DNA?

Yes, it is theoretically possible for two individuals to have completely identical DNA. However, the chances of this occurring are extremely low, as it would require an exact replication of the entire DNA sequence, which is highly unlikely.

3. What factors can affect the odds of two individuals having identical DNA?

The main factor that affects the odds of two individuals having identical DNA is genetic inheritance. The more closely related two individuals are, the more likely they are to have similar DNA. Other factors that can affect DNA similarity include environmental factors and random mutations.

4. Can identical twins have different DNA?

Yes, identical twins can have different DNA. While they are typically considered to have the same DNA, there can be small variations due to random mutations that occur during cell division.

5. What techniques are used to determine if two individuals have identical DNA?

The most commonly used technique is DNA sequencing, which involves determining the exact order of nucleotides in a DNA sample. Other techniques such as DNA fingerprinting and comparison of genetic markers can also be used to determine DNA similarity between two individuals.