Tidal Acceleration and planetary rotation

In summary: Ah. Right.In summary, the author is struggling to understand how tidal acceleration affects Earth's rotation speed and period. He calculates the numbers via a spreadsheet and finds a website with consistent results. He is unsure if there is an easy way to estimate the rate without significant mathamatical modelling.
AotrsCommander
I'm struggling to get my head around tidal acceleration. I get what is IS, I know how to calculate it, but what I'm not sure is how to apply it in a way that's meaningful to me.

So. If we took a stationary Earth (i.e. non rotating, tide-locked) and have the moon magically appear in orbit and applying the moon's ≈1.1e-06N tidal acceleraton, how would I work out what effect that has on the rotation speed (and thus period) of the Earth?

For, example, how would I calculate how long it would take for the Earth to become tide-locked to the moon (because that'd be the stable end-point, yes?) Or how long a day would be some time period (say, 4 billion years) after the moon appeared?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Can you show how you derived that number for tidal acceleration?

##a=GM\frac{d}{R^3}##

where a = tidal acceleration, G is the gravitational constant (6.67384e-11), d is the diameter of the distorted body (in this case Earth, 2*6371000m), M is the mass of the distorting body (in this case the moon, 7.347E+22kg) and R is the distance between the two bodies (384399000m).

(It is only a first-order equation, as I understand, but sufficent to my purposes.)

I calculated the numbers via spreadsheet, which gave me 1.09996E-06N

I also found http://staff.washington.edu/aganse/europa/tides/tides.html, which gave consistent results (and in fact made me realize my spreadsheet have missed G being to the E-11...!)

(I could use the more complex equation on the linked page for greater accuracy - and may do later, but for the moment, first-order is enough for me to get a handle on the numbers.)

AotrsCommander said:
For, example, how would I calculate how long it would take for the Earth to become tide-locked to the moon (because that'd be the stable end-point, yes?)

That's impossible without additional information. You need the rate of energy dissipation due to the cyclic deformation of Earth. That mainly depends on offshore water and the geological structure of Earth. A rigid, perfectly elastic or superfluid Earth would never be tidal locked.

DrStupid said:
That's impossible without additional information. You need the rate of energy dissipation due to the cyclic deformation of Earth. That mainly depends on offshore water and the geological structure of Earth. A rigid, perfectly elastic or superfluid Earth would never be tidal locked.

Ah. Right.

I'm guessing there's no easy way to make an estimate of that without some significant mathamatical (or computer) modelling, is there?

I'd ask if we know what the rate is for Earth, but I assume it would be different for a non-rotating Earth, yes? (During my reading around astrophysics these last few weeks, I saw something on tidal locking that said Earth would eventually become tide-locked to the moon, albeit on a timescale past the end of the life of the sun, which I why I thought it might be possible to estimate.)

1. What is tidal acceleration and how does it affect planetary rotation?

Tidal acceleration refers to the gradual increase in the length of a planet's day due to the gravitational pull of its moon or a nearby planet. This is caused by the tidal forces that result from the uneven distribution of mass on the planet. As the moon or other body exerts a force on the planet, it causes a bulge in the planet's surface, leading to a slight slowing down of its rotation.

2. Which planets experience the most significant tidal acceleration?

The planets that have large moons or are close to other massive bodies experience the most significant tidal acceleration. For example, our moon causes the Earth's day to increase by about 2 milliseconds every century. Other examples include the moons of Jupiter, which have a significant effect on the planet's rotation.

3. Can tidal acceleration cause a planet to stop rotating?

No, tidal acceleration cannot cause a planet to completely stop rotating. While it can slow down the rotation, there are other factors such as the planet's own internal processes that contribute to its rotation. Tidal acceleration can only cause a slight increase in the length of a planet's day.

4. Is tidal acceleration the same as the gravitational force?

No, tidal acceleration is not the same as the gravitational force. The gravitational force is the attractive force between two objects with mass, while tidal acceleration is the change in a planet's rotation caused by the gravitational pull of another body. Tidal acceleration is a result of the gradient of the gravitational force.

5. How does tidal acceleration affect the length of a day on Earth?

Tidal acceleration has a very minimal effect on the length of a day on Earth. As mentioned earlier, our moon causes the Earth's day to increase by about 2 milliseconds every century. This means it would take millions of years for the Earth's day to significantly increase due to tidal acceleration.