Calculate K Excitation Voltage & Wavelength of Copper

In summary, to calculate the K excitation voltage of copper, you will need the binding energy of the K electrons, which can be found on the website http://xdb.lbl.gov/. To calculate the wavelength of the Cu K(alpha 1) line, you will need to know the relevant energy difference. It is unlikely that your textbook expects you to calculate these values without using any data.
asdf1
for these problem:
1.calculate the K excitation voltage of copper.
2. calculate the wavelength of the Cu K(alpha 1) line.

my problem:
with that limited amount of information, how are you supposed to calculate it?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're going to need some tabulated data. http://xdb.lbl.gov/ is the place to get that. For 1. you'll need the binding energy of the K electrons.

For 2.. do you know what transition the K_alpha 1 line is equivalent to? You'll need the relevant energy difference.

wow~ thanks! but i think my textbook wants me to calculate it without the data, but is that possible?

Calculating the binding energies is not a trivial matter. I really really really doubt that that would be what your textbook wants you to do.

1. How do you calculate the K excitation voltage of copper?

The K excitation voltage of copper can be calculated using the formula: K excitation voltage = (13.6 eV) / n^2, where n is the energy level of the electron transition.

2. What is the energy level of the K transition in copper?

The energy level of the K transition in copper is 1.

3. How do you calculate the wavelength of the K transition in copper?

The wavelength of the K transition in copper can be calculated using the formula: Wavelength = hc / K excitation voltage, where h is Planck's constant and c is the speed of light.

4. What is the excitation voltage for the K transition in copper?

The excitation voltage for the K transition in copper is approximately 8.048 eV.

5. What is the wavelength of the K transition in copper?

The wavelength of the K transition in copper is approximately 154.1 nanometers.