Difference between flux and current

In summary: The connection to string theory that I'm inquireing about...Take a look at the Aharonov-Bohm effect- As I understand it, seems to describe flux as a vector quantity, ie. "voltage".Ok. But I'm studying string theory and I'm interersted in the connection between string theory and these concepts.In summary, fluxes and electric or magnetic current are representations of the same physical quantity, the flux of a field through a surface. The difference between flux and current is that the former is associated with a vector field, while the latter is associated with a rate of flow of charge.
EroticNirvana
What is exactly the difference between flux and electric or magnetic current? Is there a precise logical difference? Could anyone give an accessible explanation?

I'm looking for a string theoretic explanation but someone moved this thread. I'm not very thankful for that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i am foremost looking for a string theoretic explanation of this distinction.

The relation between fluxes of fields and the currents/charges that give rise to them are basic mathematical/physical notions. If are not familiar with them, I do not think you will be able to handle String Theory.

nonsense

Dimitri Terryn said:
The relation between fluxes of fields and the currents/charges that give rise to them are basic mathematical/physical notions. If are not familiar with them, I do not think you will be able to handle String Theory.

That's like saying, just because you do not know what a leg and what a table top is you cannot understand what a table is. Of course you can explain what a table is; you just explain the totality of the table.

It so happens that I'm learning about string theory right now and I'm maybe better versed in it that you are. Please don't respond in a snotty manner when you're unable to answer a question.

Dimitri is right, and he's a grad student in theoretical (high energy ?) physics. Furthermore, you do not explain fluxes and currents using string theory. That's like asking someone to calculate 2+3 using partial differential equations.

Fluxes and currents are representations. Any quantity that can be written as the surface intergral of a vector field is called the flux of that field through that surface. So, for instance, the electric current I, is the flux of the current density vector J.

Now a current is anything that can be written as a rate of flow of some quantity (eg : mass, charge, spin, probability). In the context of the above example, the electric current is also the rate of flow of charge.

So, in this example, we see that the same quantity represents a flux as well as a current. The reason for this is the continuity equation (a relation that says that a box will contain what it had at some time +/- what you put in/took out).

Last edited:
sure

Gokul43201 said:
Dimitri is right, and he's a grad student in theoretical (high energy ?) physics. Furthermore, you do not explain fluxes and currents using string theory. That's like asking someone to calculate 2+3 using partial differential equations.

Fluxes and currents are representations. Any quantity that can be written as the surface intergral of a vector field is called the flux of that field through that surface. So, for instance, the electric current I, is the flux of the current density vector J.

Now a current is anything that can be written as a rate of flow of some quantity (eg : mass, charge, spin, probability). In the context of the above example, the electric current is also the rate of flow of charge.

So, in this example, we see that the same quantity represents a flux as well as a current. The reason for this is the continuity equation (a relation that says that a box will contain what it had at some time +/- what you put in/took out).

Ok. But I'm studying string theory and I'm interersted in the connection between string theory and these concepts. Now that is a question that may be odd or awkward but that's the question I want an anwer to. So well, it may be tricky to override a person's intention with a question.

Given the veracity of string theory, a distinction (between flux and current) that makes sense in classical physics should make sense in string theory as far as classical physics is correct.

Anyhow, I happen to be familiar w/ these concepts. It's the connection to string theory that I'm inquireing about. I like simple explanation and if one is smart one tends to be able to provide one even for the most difficult subjects.

Last edited:
EroticNirvana said:
...It's the connection to string theory that I'm inquireing about...
Take a look at the Aharonov-Bohm effect- As I understand it, seems to describe flux as a vector quantity, ie. "voltage".

Last edited:
EroticNirvana said:
Ok. But I'm studying string theory and I'm interersted in the connection between string theory and these concepts.

I think you need to provide more detail of exactly what it is you are interested in.

I think of a generalized current as the rate of flow of a generalized charge. A conserved charge must obey a conservation law when associated with its conserved current, the rate of flow of charge.

(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conserved_current)

Conservation of generalized charge is a consequence of symmetries (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noether's_theorem )

Electric current is one example of a specific sort of current that arises in E&M that results from the conservation laws associated with charge, which arise from gauge invariance symmetry in E&M.

Flux is associated with a vector field. Gauss's law for the electric field (a vector field) shows that certain closed flux intergals are also associated with conserved charges.

the distinction in terms of string theory

I'm just asking for an explanation of the distinction between electric current and flux in a string theoretical terminology. That's quite a difficult task, but that's what I'm asking for.
pervect said:
I think you need to provide more detail of exactly what it is you are interested in.

I think of a generalized current as the rate of flow of a generalized charge. A conserved charge must obey a conservation law when associated with its conserved current, the rate of flow of charge.

(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conserved_current)

Conservation of generalized charge is a consequence of symmetries (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noether's_theorem )

Electric current is one example of a specific sort of current that arises in E&M that results from the conservation laws associated with charge, which arise from gauge invariance symmetry in E&M.

Flux is associated with a vector field. Gauss's law for the electric field (a vector field) shows that certain closed flux intergals are also associated with conserved charges.

ITS EASY -

CURRENT - Rate of flow

FLUX - Amount of flow

It seems like people try to make it more complicated to make themselves feel smarter or something. So annoying.

1. What is the difference between flux and current?

Flux and current are two different physical quantities that are often confused with each other. Flux refers to the flow of a physical quantity, such as electric charge, through a surface. Current, on the other hand, is the rate of flow of electric charge through a conductor. In simpler terms, flux is the amount of a physical quantity passing through a surface, while current is the rate at which this quantity is flowing.

2. How are flux and current related?

Flux and current are related through the concept of electric fields. An electric field is the force that acts on a charged particle. When there is a difference in electric potential between two points, an electric field is created, and this causes electric charge to flow, resulting in a current. The amount of current that flows is directly proportional to the electric field and the surface area through which the flux passes.

3. Can flux and current exist without each other?

No, flux and current are interconnected and cannot exist without each other. Flux is the cause of current, and current is the effect of flux. In other words, without flux, there would be no current, and without current, there would be no flux. They are two fundamental concepts that are essential for understanding electricity and electromagnetism.

4. How are flux and current measured?

The unit of measurement for flux is the weber (Wb), while the unit of measurement for current is the ampere (A). Flux is measured using a device called a fluxmeter, which uses a coil and a magnet to measure the amount of magnetic flux passing through the coil. Current, on the other hand, can be measured using an ammeter, which is a device that measures the flow of electric charge through a conductor.

5. What are some real-life applications of flux and current?

Flux and current have many practical applications in our daily lives. For example, electric power generation and distribution rely on the flow of electric current through conductors. In electronics, current is used to power devices, while flux is used in devices such as transformers and electric motors. In physics, flux and current are used to study the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, and they are essential in many scientific experiments and research.