How Many ATP Molecules Are Used in a Single Bicep Muscle Contraction?

• Thread starter Kawrae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Muscle
In summary, approximately 1021 molecules of ATP are needed for a standard muscle like the biceps during the contraction phase of a single twitch. This is based on a simple calculation using the weight lifted and the energy released from ATP hydrolysis.
Kawrae
>> Calculate approximately how many molecules of ATP are required for a standard muscle like the biceps during the contraction phase of a single twitch.

I honestly do not even know where to begin here... I don't think he wants us to go through and just outline Glycolysis/Kreb's Cycle/ETC because that's just producing ATP in general, not for a specific contraction. And that's not saying how much is NEEDED...

I've looked around on the internet but can't really seem to come up with an answer. I know that calcium is needed but again, I can't figure out how much.

Does anyone think they could help me out? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There are tons of different ways to approach this problem, from the very simple to the very involved. I'll go a very simple way. Let's take the bicep, for instance. Let's say you lift a 10kg weight 0.5m directly upward (using only your bicep somehow). This requires your bicep to do:
$$W = mgh = (10kg)(9.8m/s^2)(0.5m) = 49J$$
worth of work. ATP hydrolysis releases 30.5 kJ mol-1. This means that the number of moles of ATP required to do 49 J worth of work is:
$$\frac{49J}{30500J\cdot mol^{-1}}=1.6\times 10^{-3} mol$$
To get number of molecules, simply multiply by Avogadro's number:
$$(1.6\times 10^{-3} mol)(6.022 \times 10^{23} mol^{-1}) = 9.6 \times 10^{20}$$
So an order of magnitude estimate would be roughly 1021 molecules of ATP per muscle contraction.

Likes SciencewithDrJ

What is ATP and why is it important in muscle contractions?

ATP (adenosine triphosphate) is a molecule that serves as the primary energy source for cellular processes. In muscle contractions, ATP is used to power the contraction and relaxation of muscle fibers.

How is ATP produced in muscle cells?

ATP is produced through a process called cellular respiration, which involves breaking down glucose and other molecules to release energy. This energy is used to form ATP molecules.

What happens to ATP during muscle contractions?

During muscle contractions, ATP is broken down into ADP (adenosine diphosphate) and a phosphate molecule. This releases energy that is used to power the contraction. The ADP is then recycled back into ATP through cellular respiration.

Why is it important for muscle cells to have a constant supply of ATP?

Muscle cells require a constant supply of ATP to maintain their ability to contract and relax. Without enough ATP, muscle fatigue can occur, leading to a decrease in muscle function and performance.

How does the body replenish ATP levels during exercise?

The body has several ways to replenish ATP levels during exercise. This includes breaking down stored glycogen (a form of glucose) in the muscles, using creatine phosphate as a source of energy, and through cellular respiration which produces ATP from glucose in the bloodstream.