Must every year have at least one Friday which is on the 13th?

• Thread starter Harmony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary, the conversation discusses the occurrence of Fridays on the 13th of each month and whether it is necessary for every year to have at least one such occurrence. Through mathematical reasoning and proof, it is determined that every year, regardless of being a leap year or not, will have at least one Friday on the 13th. This is due to the 28-year cycle of calendars and the adjustment of leap years in the Gregorian system. The conversation also touches on the use of calculus in proving this concept.
Harmony
Question:
Must every year have at least one Friday which is on the 13th?

By listing out all the dates, I found that for any year, day 1st-7th must appear at least once for the the first Friday of the months. Hence, there must be at least a month which the first Friday is on the 6th. Thus, I deduce that every year must have at least one Friday which is on the 13th.

But how do I prove it mathematically? Does the dates form sequence? Is calculus needed for this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you did sounds like a perfectly good mathematics proof!

(Did you do this for both leap years and non-leap years?)

I do that for leap years and non-leap years. But how do I prove it through calculus or anything mathematical?

You just did I thought

Math is ultimately just logic. Not all kinds of math involve numbers or equations.

Here's something I found. The entire article is even more interesting.
Source:http://www.aug.edu/dvskel/Beveridge2003.htm

There are fourteen possible calendars in the Gregorian system. One for January 1st falling on each of the seven days of the week in a standard 365 day year and one for January 1st falling on each of the seven days during a leap year. However, because of the interaction between the seven-day week and the four-year leap year cycle, the calendar must go through a 28-year period before returning to its starting place.

The number 365 is congruent to 1 modulo 7. In other words, there is a remainder of 1 when 365 is divided by 7. This causes the calendar to shift forward by one day each year. For instance, if January 1st is on Sunday during a non-leap year, it will fall on a Monday the following year. Without leap years, each date on the calendar would move forward one day per year and so would fall on a particular day every seven years. However, every four years, a leap year of 366 days causes each date to be pushed ahead two days, as 366 is congruent to 2 modulo 7 [see Table 1]. This irregularity is what causes the 28-year cycle of calendars, 28 being the least common multiple of 4 and 7.

Now the occurrences of Friday the 13th begin to make more sense. The examination of several years time will produce no pattern as the sequence of calendars repeats only once every 28 years. However, this does not take into account the Gregorian adjustment to the leap years, for three out of every four century years are not leap years. If we go back to the last century year before 2000 that was a leap year, an interesting pattern will emerge. The year 1600 was a leap year and occurred 18 years after the first countries began to adopt the Gregorian calendar, which makes it a convenient reference point. So, beginning in 1600, the calendar would progress through three 28-year periods before coming upon an irregularity.

The year 1700 would normally be a leap year and would keep the 28-year period running smoothly. Instead, what happens is that in the middle of the 28-year period there occurs the year 1700, which should be a leap year, but by the Gregorian adjustment is not. This causes the previous 12 calendars to repeat and so the pattern is not resumed until 12 years later, which causes the 28-year period to stretch to 40 years[see Table 2].

Last edited by a moderator:
Harmony said:
I do that for leap years and non-leap years. But how do I prove it through calculus or anything mathematical?

I'm a novice when it comes to proofs, but if you want to put your reasoning into more mathematical terms, then how about the following:

If you add 13 to the number of days in each previous month (starting with 0 for January) you get the number of days after the beginning of the year that the thirteenth of each month falls on:

13 (jan)
44 (feb)
72 (mar)
103 (apr)
133 (may)
164 (jun)
194 (jul)
225 (aug)
256 (sep)
286 (oct)
317 (nov)
347 (dec)

Now take the modulus of each number with 7 (for the weekly cycles):

6 (jan)
2 (feb)
2 (mar)
5 (apr)
0 (may)
3 (jun)
5 (jul)
1 (aug)
4 (sep)
6 (oct)
2 (nov)
4 (dec)

The list above gives the day of the week (based on the first day of the year = 0) that the 13th of each month falls on.
For example, if the year starts on a Wednesday then Wednesday = 0, Tuesday = 1, Thursday = 2, etc.
So in a non-leap year beginning on Wednesday, July 13 is a Sunday.
From the list above you can see that every day of the week (0-6) is represented at least once (regardless of which day of the week is "day zero").

For leap years the first list and the second list are both offset by +1 after February:
13 (jan)
44 (feb)
73 (mar)
104 (apr)
134 (may)
165 (jun)
195 (jul)
226 (aug)
257 (sep)
287 (oct)
318 (nov)
348 (dec)

And:
6 (jan)
2 (feb)
3 (mar)
6 (apr)
1 (may)
4 (jun)
6 (jul)
2 (aug)
5 (sep)
0 (oct)
3 (nov)
5 (dec)

Again, each day of the week is represented at least once.
So, during any year, leap or non-leap, the thirteenth will fall on a Friday at least once (and every other day of the week at least once).

Assuming my numbers and logic are correct of course...
-GeoMike-

Last edited:

1. What is the origin of the superstition surrounding Friday the 13th?

The fear of Friday the 13th, also known as "paraskevidekatriaphobia," has roots in ancient superstitions and religious beliefs. Some experts believe that the superstition stems from the biblical story of the Last Supper, where there were 13 people present on the night before Jesus' crucifixion, which occurred on a Friday. Others attribute the fear to Norse mythology, where the god Loki was the 13th guest at a dinner party and brought about the death of the beloved god Baldr.

2. Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea that Friday the 13th is an unlucky day?

No, there is no scientific evidence that Friday the 13th is an unlucky day. In fact, a study published in the American Journal of Psychiatry found that there is no significant increase in accidents, hospital admissions, or natural disasters on this day compared to any other day. The belief in the unluckiness of Friday the 13th is purely based on superstition and has no scientific basis.

3. How often does Friday the 13th occur?

Friday the 13th occurs at least once every year, but can occur up to three times in a single year. This happens when the first day of the year is a Sunday, which guarantees three occurrences of Friday the 13th in that year. On average, Friday the 13th occurs once every 212.35 days, which is slightly more often than once a year.

4. What is the longest possible time between two occurrences of Friday the 13th?

The longest possible time between two occurrences of Friday the 13th is 14 months. This can happen when a leap year starts on a Thursday, which pushes the first Friday the 13th to the following year. The next occurrence will then be 14 months later, in the same month.

5. Are there any notable events that have happened on Friday the 13th?

Yes, there have been many notable events that have occurred on Friday the 13th throughout history. Some examples include the sinking of the Costa Concordia cruise ship in 2012, the bombing of Buckingham Palace in 1940 during World War II, and the release of the horror film "Friday the 13th" in 1980. However, these events are purely coincidental and have no connection to the superstitions surrounding the day.