Forum does not have a board for newcomers

In summary, a newcomer named Darkfox joined the forum and asked if it would be a good place for someone who is self-teaching physics and has questions. Another member welcomed Darkfox and suggested posting in the homework help forums for the best responses. Darkfox was also warned about the "Sisterhood" and their fish.
Darkfox
I noticed that the forum does not have a board for newcomers, so I'll try to make this as short and to the point as possible. Basically I've been teaching myself physics and its myriad of sister subjects for several months now through books and the internet alike. I love the subject, and plan on attending school in about a year (finances prevent a sooner starting date), but until then I've been looking for someone that can help with all the questions I've developed while studying on my own. Would this be a good forum for someone like me, or is it more suited to those who are already in school and need assistance with actual coursework and test subjects?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome Darkfox! Someone will be along with the fish and newcomer snacks soon.

Welcome! Yes, of course you may ask your questions. If they are things based on textbooks you're reading, you may find asking them in the homework help forums will get you the best responses from people with the most patience for beginner questions...it doesn't matter that it's not actual homework.

And, yes, now where did the frozen fish for new members get put? I think there was a problem with the freezer and some of it thawed out, but it should still be okay, right? :redface:

Welcome to PF!

Darkfox said:
I noticed that the forum does not have a board for newcomers, so I'll try to make this as short and to the point as possible. Basically I've been teaching myself physics and its myriad of sister subjects for several months now through books and the internet alike. I love the subject, and plan on attending school in about a year (finances prevent a sooner starting date), but until then I've been looking for someone that can help with all the questions I've developed while studying on my own. Would this be a good forum for someone like me, or is it more suited to those who are already in school and need assistance with actual coursework and test subjects?
You've come to the right place. Welcome to PF, Darkfox!

Welcome******

1. Why doesn't the forum have a board specifically for newcomers?

The forum may not have a board for newcomers because the focus of the forum may be on more advanced topics or discussions. Another possibility is that the forum may have a general board for all users to participate in, regardless of experience level.

2. How can newcomers participate in the forum without a dedicated board?

Newcomers can still participate in the forum by posting in the existing boards or by creating their own discussions. They can also reach out to more experienced users for help or guidance.

3. Will there be a board for newcomers in the future?

It's possible that a board for newcomers may be added in the future if there is a growing demand for it or if the forum expands to cover a broader range of topics. However, this ultimately depends on the forum's administrators and their goals for the forum.

4. Are there any resources or guidelines for newcomers to follow in the forum?

Some forums may have a dedicated section or thread for new users where they can find resources, guidelines, and rules for participating in the forum. If this is not available, newcomers can reach out to more experienced users for advice on how to navigate the forum.

5. Can newcomers still benefit from participating in the forum without a specific board for them?

Yes, newcomers can still benefit from participating in the forum as it allows them to learn from more experienced users and engage in discussions on various topics. It can also help them improve their communication and problem-solving skills.