Can a Bird Fly Horizontally in a Cage With Downward Acceleration?

In summary, the experts discuss whether a bird can fly with constant horizontal velocity in a cage while experiencing vertical acceleration. They debate the possibility and conclude that it is not possible for a bird to maintain constant horizontal velocity in the long run due to factors such as the cage hitting the grate and the cage being in free fall.
srikanth.isro

Homework Statement

Is it possible for a bird to fly in a cage with a constant horizontal velocity when there is an acceleration acting in the vertically downward direction.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
whats your best guess?

i think that there can't be a motion in the horizontal direction with constant velocity when there is an acceleration in the downward direction. If the bird flies at an angle then the vertical component of the force will be compensated by mg and still there will be a net horizontal component of the force, so the bird can't move with constant velocity

well if we take the cage out of the problem, i would argue that any bird can do exactly what you say it can't--well maybe not do-do birds or ostriches. Birds in flight are subject to 4 forces, a constant acceleration downward, lift, drag, and thrust. If lift = mg, and thrust = drag, you have constant horizontal flight. I'm not trying to make the question seem foolish as I suspect there is more to it yet.

I agree with your argument. can you show with a free body diagram how these four forces act on the bird.

sure its not as straight forward for a bird as a plane, but mg acts downward thru the center of gravity, lift upwards thru the center of pressure, drag is slowing the horizontal velocity, and thrust (this is tricky) since it is also generated by wings in a rowing kind of motion provides force horizontally.

i think it's not possible in long run. assume the bird flies in a cage with a constant horizontal velocity, then after a while it will hit the grate and therefor change its horizontal velocity to zero. hence, in order for horizontal velocity to be constant it has to be zero all the time, but with zero horizontal velocity it is impossible to fly (unless there is an acceleration acting in the vertically upward direction cancelling bird's weight, which goes against the problem statement). so no, it's not possible.

oh crap I haven't thought about http://www.radio.usp.br/imagens/bdb_colibri.jpg :(

Last edited by a moderator:
well the obvious downer for all scenarios is that the cage is in free fall.

1. Can a bird fly horizontally in a cage with downward acceleration?

No, a bird cannot fly horizontally in a cage with downward acceleration. This is because the downward acceleration would counteract the lift force generated by the bird's wings, making it difficult for the bird to maintain horizontal flight.

2. What is the lift force and how does it affect a bird's flight?

The lift force is the force that acts in an upward direction to counteract the force of gravity. It is generated by the bird's wings as it moves through the air. The lift force is essential for a bird's flight as it allows them to stay airborne and maintain control over their flight path.

3. How does downward acceleration affect a bird's flight?

Downward acceleration can significantly impact a bird's flight. It can make it difficult for the bird to maintain a steady flight path and may even cause it to lose altitude. This is because the downward acceleration acts against the lift force, making it harder for the bird to stay airborne.

4. Can a bird adapt to flying in a cage with downward acceleration?

No, birds are not able to adapt to flying in a cage with downward acceleration. This is because the bird's flight is dependent on external factors such as air resistance and gravity. Any change in these factors, such as downward acceleration, would affect the bird's ability to fly.

5. What are some possible consequences of a bird flying in a cage with constant downward acceleration?

If a bird were to fly in a cage with constant downward acceleration, it could experience physical stress and fatigue. This could lead to a decrease in the bird's overall health and well-being. Additionally, the bird may have difficulty performing natural behaviors such as perching and grooming, which can also impact its physical and mental health.