Mathematics for Scientists and Engineers

• Thread starter arevolutionist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the conversation discusses the usefulness of books marketed as "Mathematics for Scientists and Engineers" for physicists. The general consensus is that these books are better used as references for those who already have a basic understanding of the topics. They may not be as helpful for learning new topics, as the concepts may be better explained in physics classes and textbooks. However, they may be beneficial for chemistry students taking physical chemistry. Ultimately, it is recommended to use math textbooks as references rather than investing in additional books.
arevolutionist
Whats is your opinion on books referred as something similar to 'Mathematics for Scientists and Engineers'? Would you recommend these books for physicists over traditional mathematics textbooks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, a lot of them are pretty good if they're used as a reference if you already know a topic and you just want to brush up. They're tough to learn a topic if its new. Although, I hear the one by Boas is nice.

I agree with Mororvia here. I remember that back when I took freshman physics, our professor put a calculus handbook on the textbook list. While the professor was great in most other respects, I've got to say that this was a pretty bad idea. First of all, the book wasn't all that comprehensible to someone who hadn't already taken calculus, and secondly, it turned out that we hardly used calculus the first semester. But as has already been stated, these books are useful if you've already taken calculus, and just need a reference. Back in my junior year of high school I had a calculus handbook written by a chemical engineer (a birthday present from some friends who were aware of my affinity for math). Same story here.

Just my opinion, but I honestly don't think that the "math for scientists" books aren't all that important for physicists. I can see how a chemistry major might find it useful while taking physical chem. But for physics majors, we tend to learn most of the important math in our physics classes. Topics like partial differential equations, Fourier series, Taylor expansions, and all that other stuff are usually presented pretty well in physics classes and physics textbooks. So if you ask me, I'd say that you should save some money, and just keep your math textbooks as references.

Last edited:

1. What is the importance of studying Mathematics for Scientists and Engineers?

Mathematics is the universal language of science and engineering. It provides the necessary tools for analyzing and solving complex problems in various fields. It also helps in developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are essential for any scientist or engineer.

2. What are some key topics covered in Mathematics for Scientists and Engineers?

The key topics covered in this course include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, probability and statistics, and numerical analysis. These topics are crucial for understanding and modeling real-world phenomena and developing mathematical models for scientific and engineering applications.

3. Is prior knowledge of mathematics required for this course?

Prior knowledge of mathematics is highly recommended for this course, as it builds upon basic concepts and principles of algebra and geometry. However, students with a strong foundation in problem-solving and critical thinking can also excel in this course with dedication and hard work.

4. How can Mathematics for Scientists and Engineers be applied in real life?

Mathematics for Scientists and Engineers has numerous practical applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, engineering, computer science, and economics. It is used to model and analyze real-world problems, make predictions and informed decisions, and develop new technologies and innovations.

5. What resources are available for students to improve their understanding of Mathematics for Scientists and Engineers?

There are various resources available for students to enhance their understanding of this subject, such as textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. Additionally, seeking help from professors, tutors, and peers can also be beneficial in mastering the concepts of Mathematics for Scientists and Engineers.