Rate of change of the magnitude of the displacement

In summary, the displacement is y = t and the velocity is v = \frac {d \overrightarrow x}{dt} The speed is the magnitude of v .
Ali 2
If the displacement was given by [tex] \overrightarrow x (t) [/tex]
( i.e vector valued function ) .

Then the velocity is [tex] \overrightarrow v = \frac {d \overrightarrow x}{dt} [/tex]

The speed is the magnitude of v .

But ..

What is the derivative of the magintude of the displacement [tex] \frac {d \|\overrightarrow x\|}{dt} [/tex] ?

To Clerify my question more ..

Suppose on the xy - plane , there are two point started moving from the origin , the first one in the y - axis direction and its displacement at time t is y =t
the other point moves in the x - axis direction , and its displacement is [tex]x=t^2[/tex]

If we want to find the rate of change of the distnace between them as a function of time .. there are 2 approaches ..

The First : :

We can say that .. the distnace between them is :

[tex] r = \sqrt { x^2 + y^2 } = \sqrt { t^2 + t^4 } [/tex]

Thus simply we differentiate r with respect to t ::

[tex]\frac {dr}{dt} = \frac { 2t^3 + t } { \sqrt { 1 + t^2 }}[/tex]

The second ::

Consider .. the vector [tex]\overrightarrow x = t^2 \mathbf i[/tex] and [tex]\overrightarrow y = t \mathbf j[/tex] ..
Thus , [tex]\overrightarrow r = \overrightarrow x - \overrightarrow y = t^2 \mathbf i - t \mathbf j[/tex]
The velocity is
[tex]\frac { d \overrightarrow r } {dt} = 2t \mathbf i - \mathbf j[/tex]

Thus the rate of change of the distance between them is
[tex]\left \| \frac { d \overrightarrow r } {dt} \right \| = \sqrt { 4t^2 + 1 }[/tex]

-------------------------------
Notice the first one is :

[tex]\frac {d \| \overrightarrow r \|}{dt} [/tex]

AND the second is

[tex]\left \| \frac { d \overrightarrow r } {dt} \right \| [/tex]

WHICH ONE IS THE RIGHT ANWER ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
d|r|/dt, in the case where r the distance from a point to a distinguished origin, is called a 'radial velocity' and is a component (in polar coordinates) of the velocity dr/dt.

If you want to find the 'rate of change of the distance between them' use the first approach. E.g. if a point is circling the origin |dr/dt| is nonzero, yet the distance is fixed.

And that is what I thought about ..

1. What is the definition of rate of change of the magnitude of displacement?

The rate of change of the magnitude of displacement is the measure of how quickly the magnitude of an object's displacement is changing over time. It is a measure of the object's speed or velocity.

2. How is rate of change of the magnitude of displacement calculated?

The rate of change of the magnitude of displacement can be calculated by taking the derivative of the displacement function with respect to time. This will give the instantaneous rate of change at a specific time.

3. What is the unit of measurement for rate of change of the magnitude of displacement?

The unit of measurement for rate of change of the magnitude of displacement is distance over time, such as meters per second or kilometers per hour.

4. How is rate of change of the magnitude of displacement used in real-world applications?

Rate of change of the magnitude of displacement is used in many real-world applications, such as calculating the speed of a moving object, determining the acceleration of a vehicle, and predicting the future position of an object based on its current displacement and rate of change.

5. How does rate of change of the magnitude of displacement relate to other concepts in physics?

Rate of change of the magnitude of displacement is closely related to other concepts in physics such as velocity, acceleration, and position. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the motion of objects and is used in many equations and calculations in physics.