Interesting number theory question

In summary, the natural numbers n that satisfy the condition of (10^n)-1 being divisible by 73 include any multiple of 8 and n=72. This can be determined by using Fermat's Little Theorem and taking the greatest common divisor of 72 with various numbers.
lugita15

Homework Statement

For what natural numbers n is (10^n)-1 divisible by 73?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already found that it holds when n is a power of two greater than 8. (That means when n is great than 8, not the eigth power of 2)
What other natural numbers n satisfy the above condition?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about 24,40,48 etc?

Not sure how I got there but I think I have the right answer... thought it could be trivialized by Fermat's Little Theorem.

[tex]10^{\phi(73)} \equiv 1 (mod 73)[/tex]
since 73 is prime
[tex]\phi(73) = 72[/tex]

So n=72 works... But Dick commented about numbers less then 72 so I figured it couldn't be that... I took the gcd(72,24) got 24, gcd(72,40) got 8, gcd(72,48) got 24. Then I took the gcd(24,8) and got 8, so it's every multiple of 8 -- and that worked but not really not sure maybe someone else can make sense of it...

Once you have 10^8(mod 73)=1 the rest is pretty much a foregone conclusion.

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of integers and their relationships with each other. It involves topics such as prime numbers, divisibility, and modular arithmetic.

2. What makes a number interesting in number theory?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it is subjective, but generally a number is considered interesting in number theory if it has unique properties or connections to other mathematical concepts.

3. What are some examples of interesting numbers in number theory?

Some examples of interesting numbers in number theory include prime numbers, perfect numbers, Fibonacci numbers, and Mersenne primes.

4. What is the significance of number theory in other fields of science?

Number theory has applications in various fields such as cryptography, computer science, and physics. It helps in developing algorithms for data encryption, analyzing patterns in computer networks, and understanding the behavior of particles in quantum physics.

5. Can anyone study number theory or is it only for experts?

Anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics can study number theory. However, as the concepts can become complex, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra and number theory before diving into advanced topics.