Solving Position Vector Problem: Find Acceleration with |f|^2 = 260 + 64 cos3t

In summary, the speaker is struggling with a problem involving finding the acceleration of a fairground ride at a given time. They have managed to find the velocity and acceleration equations, but are having trouble getting them to match the given expression of |f|^2 = 260 + 64 cos3t. They are open to any help or suggestions.
PJH20
I really need helpo with this question. I am having to revise over easter for the three week break and i need a solution to this. I have all the past exam papers but the lecturere doesn't have any past paper solutions and his lecture notes are vague. TO top it off i wondered if there were any good books with worked examples and questions?

Here is my problem.

At time t, the position vector of a point P, on a fairground ride is given by:

r(t) = (2cost + cos4t)i + (2sint + sin4t)j m

Find its acceleration, F, at time t. Show that:

|f|^2 = 260 + 64 cos3t m^2s^-4

Ok that's the problem.

Now i have managed to get the velocity by differentiation and then the acceleration which works out to be:

a(t) = (-2cost-16cos4t)i + (-2sint-16sin4t)j

But i can't then get this expression to work out to |f|^2 = 260 + 64 cos3t...

Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What have you found |F|^2 to be? You're missing a 4 from inside the first cos in the post.

It is now corrected.

I got a couple of totally different asnwers to |f|^2 that i reckokn are really wrong.

4cos^2(t) - 256cos^2(4t) + 4sin^2(t) + 256sin^2(4t) Is one of my answers that i think looks halfway there...

I think you need to remember that (x+y)^2 = x^2+2xy+y^2 and not x^2+y^2, and that (-x)^2=x

because you're missing two terms in that answer and there's a minus sign, which could just be a typo.

Remember your trig identities too.

1. How do I solve a position vector problem?

To solve a position vector problem, you must first identify the given information and the unknown variable. Then, you can use mathematical equations, such as the Pythagorean theorem or trigonometric functions, to solve for the unknown variable.

2. What is a position vector?

A position vector is a mathematical representation of the position of an object in space. It includes the magnitude (distance) and direction of the object's position.

3. What does |f|^2 represent in the given problem?

In this problem, |f|^2 represents the magnitude of the position vector, which is the distance of the object from its starting point. It is equal to the sum of the squared x and y components of the position vector.

4. How do I find the acceleration in a position vector problem?

To find the acceleration in a position vector problem, you can use the equation a = d^2x/dt^2 + d^2y/dt^2, where x and y are the components of the position vector and t is time. You may need to use calculus to find the derivatives of the position vector components.

5. What is the significance of cos3t in the given problem?

The term cos3t in the given problem represents the direction of the position vector. It indicates that the object is moving in a circular motion with a frequency of 3t. This information is important in determining the object's velocity and acceleration at any given time.