Observed radial velocity of a Binary Star system

In summary, the problem deals with a double-star system and the Doppler effect of light emitted from one of the stars. If the speed of light is modified by the motion of the star, the observed Doppler shift of the light would appear to vary with time according to the equation v = u sin[(2Pi/T)(t - R/c - Rv/c^2)], where u is the speed of the star in its orbit and c is the speed of light. This is similar to the Michelson-Morley experiment and does not require consideration of relativistic effects if u << c.
hydrogène

Homework Statement

Consider a double-star system with two stars, A and B, in circular orbits of the same period T about their center of mass. The Earth is in the plane defined by these orbits at a distance R of many light-years. Let the speed of A in its orbit be u; then at any instant it has a velocity v (=u cosθ) along the line from the double-star system to the earth. When light emitted from A reaches the earth, its observed Doppler shift (change of wavelength of characteristic spectral lines) reveals the value of v at the instant of emission.

If the speed of light from A to the Earth were modified by the motion of A, so as to be equal to c+v, show that the value of v, as inferred from the spectroscopic observations on earth, would appear to varying with time in accordance with the following equation if u<<c:
v = u sin[(2Pi/T)(t - R/c - Rv/c^2)]

Homework Equations

i have no idea wat equations i should have for this problem...:frown:

The Attempt at a Solution

i know it's sth related to the doppler effect, but all i hv learned abt the doppler effect is the very basic ideas like the apparent frequency of the siren from an approaching poilce car and such. But when it comes to the doppler effect for EM waves, i hv absolutely no idea how i should take c into account.

can anybody suggest also some references for me on the topic of (relativistic?) doppler effect?? it seems to me that the main idea of this problem has nothing related to the leature material of mine (which was doing something like an introduction to special relativity, but all we have done so far is to study the Michelson-Morley experiment, and from that i can see no relation to the doppler effect:cry:)

Physics news on Phys.org
The binary star system is a bit like a Michelson-Morley experiment. What you have is a light source changing with respect to an ether frame. Rather than measuring interference you are measuring the Doppler shift. If u << c then you don't have to take into account relativistic effects.

1. What is the "observed radial velocity" of a Binary Star system?

The observed radial velocity of a Binary Star system is the measurement of the speed at which the stars are moving towards or away from Earth along our line of sight. This can be observed through the Doppler effect, which causes the stars' spectral lines to shift towards the blue end of the spectrum if they are moving towards us, or towards the red end if they are moving away from us.

2. How is the "observed radial velocity" of a Binary Star system measured?

The observed radial velocity of a Binary Star system is measured using spectroscopy, where the light from the stars is split into its component wavelengths and analyzed for any shifts in the spectral lines. These shifts can then be used to calculate the speed at which the stars are moving towards or away from Earth.

3. What can the "observed radial velocity" of a Binary Star system tell us about the stars?

The observed radial velocity of a Binary Star system can tell us about the orbital motion of the stars, including their period, eccentricity, and distance from each other. It can also provide information about the masses of the stars and their potential to have planets orbiting around them.

4. Can the "observed radial velocity" of a Binary Star system change over time?

Yes, the observed radial velocity of a Binary Star system can change over time due to the stars' orbital motion. As the stars move closer or further away from Earth, their observed radial velocity will also change. Other factors such as the presence of planets or interactions with other stars can also affect the observed radial velocity.

5. How do scientists use the "observed radial velocity" of a Binary Star system to study the evolution of stars?

By studying the observed radial velocity of a Binary Star system over time, scientists can track the changes in the stars' orbital motion and use this information to understand the evolutionary processes happening within the stars. This can also provide insights into the formation and evolution of binary star systems, which can be used to further our understanding of stellar evolution in general.