Laplace equation, cylindrical 2D

In summary, the conversation discusses the Laplace equation in cylindrical coordinates and the general solution u(rho, Phi) = rho^n*Phi(phi). There is confusion about why the solution does not differentiate with respect to rho. It is clarified that the solution does indeed differentiate with respect to rho, but there were errors in the initial expressions. The correct expression is given and it is confirmed that it does work.
Niles
[SOLVED] Laplace equation, cylindrical 2D

Homework Statement

I am given the Laplace eq. in cylindrical coord. (2D), and I am told that we can assume the solution u(rho, Phi) = rho^n * Phi(phi).

Find the general solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher says that the general solution is u(rh,Phi) = SUM [A*cos(...) + B*sin(...)]*rho^n.

It is tis version of the Laplace equation on the first equation on page 12 in here:

http://people.ifm.liu.se/boser/elma/Lect4.pdf

Why do we not differentiate rho?

Physics news on Phys.org
Niles said:

Homework Statement

I am given the Laplace eq. in cylindrical coord. (2D), and I am told that we can assume the solution u(rho, Phi) = rho^n * Phi(phi).

Find the general solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher says that the general solution is u(rh,Phi) = SUM [A*cos(...) + B*sin(...)]*rho^n.

It is tis version of the Laplace equation on the first equation on page 12 in here:

http://people.ifm.liu.se/boser/elma/Lect4.pdf

Why do we not differentiate rho?

You do differentiate with respect to rho! Just plug in the general solution and you will see that it works, at the condition of choosing the constant inside the trig function correctly . You cannot put any old constant multiplying phi inside the trig function.
write the argument of the trig function as [tex] c \phi [/tex] and plug the general solution in Laplace's equation and you will see that it does work at the condition of choosing "c" to be some particular value (in terms of "n").

Ok, now I have substituted u(rho,Phi) in Laplaces equation, divided through by rho^n*Phi and multiplied by rho^2:[tex]
\frac{\rho }{{\rho ^n }}\frac{\partial }{{\partial \rho }}\left( {\rho \frac{{\partial \rho ^n }}{{\partial \rho }}} \right) + \frac{1}{\Phi }\frac{{\partial ^2 \Phi }}{{\partial \phi ^2 }} = 0
[/tex]

The rho-part does not equal rho^n. Or am I wrong here?

Niles said:
Ok, now I have substituted u(rho,Phi) in Laplaces equation, divided through by rho^n*Phi and multiplied by rho^2:

[tex]
\frac{\rho }{{\rho ^n }}\frac{\partial }{{\partial \rho }}\left( {\rho \frac{{\partial \rho ^n }}{{\partial \rho }}} \right) + \frac{1}{\Phi }\frac{{\partial ^2 \Phi }}{{\partial \phi ^2 }} = 0
[/tex]

The rho-part does not equal rho^n. Or am I wrong here?

Look again at the laplacian in cylindrical coordinates. There are two mistakes in the expression you wrote above!

Duh, I meant plane polar, not cylindrical - sorry!

So the above is written in plane polar, but it still doesn't work.

EDIT: The only thing that changes when going to plane polars from cylindrical is that the z-part is missing. So that counts for one of the errors. So one error is remaining, but there is none?

Last edited:
This is what you want.
[tex]

\rho \frac{\partial }{{\partial \rho }}\left( {\rho \frac{{\partial \Phi }}{{\partial \rho }}} \right) + \frac{{\partial ^2 \Phi }}{{\partial \phi ^2 }} = 0

[/tex]

Just take the cylindrical form, drop z and multiply by rho^2. It does work.

By doing that, I get [tex] {\frac{\rho}{\rho ^n} \frac{\partial }{{\partial \rho }}\left( {\rho \frac{{\partial \rho ^n}}{{\partial \rho }}} \right) + \frac{1}{\Phi}\frac{{\partial ^2 \Phi }}{{\partial \phi ^2 }} = 0.

[/tex]

What I did was to insert u(rho, Phi) = rho^n*Phi in the expression Dick wrote to the right of the partial d's, right? Then I divide by rho^n and Phi, and the above expression is what I end up with.

EDIT: Yeah, it really does work. Thanks to both of you!

Last edited:

1. What is the Laplace equation?

The Laplace equation is a partial differential equation that describes the relationship between a function's second-order spatial derivatives and its values at a given point. It is typically used to model physical phenomena in fields such as fluid mechanics and electrostatics.

2. How is the Laplace equation expressed in cylindrical coordinates?

In cylindrical coordinates, the Laplace equation is expressed as ∇2u = 0, where ∇2 is the Laplace operator and u represents the function being solved for. This form of the equation is particularly useful for solving problems with cylindrical symmetry.

3. What are the boundary conditions for the Laplace equation in cylindrical 2D?

The boundary conditions for the Laplace equation in cylindrical 2D depend on the specific problem being solved. However, they typically involve specifying the values of the function u or its derivatives at the boundaries of the cylindrical region being studied.

4. How is the Laplace equation solved numerically?

There are several numerical methods that can be used to solve the Laplace equation, including finite difference, finite element, and spectral methods. These methods involve discretizing the domain and solving the resulting system of equations to approximate the solution to the Laplace equation.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Laplace equation?

The Laplace equation has a wide range of applications in physics and engineering, including solving heat conduction problems, modeling the flow of fluids, analyzing electrical potentials, and studying diffusion processes. It is also used in image processing and computer vision to solve problems such as image smoothing and denoising.