Rayleigh Flow - Integration By Parts

In summary, A student is struggling with understanding the integration by parts process in the x-momentum equation for Rayleigh flow. The professor has provided a solution using integration by parts, but the student is having trouble finding a similar example in their calculus books. Another student suggests solving for g by separation of variables and then integrating to find f.
apennine
Hello,

This is not a question regarding a homework problem, but a step in class the professor did not show how to calculate.

Homework Statement

I am taking a course on Viscous Flow, and for Rayleigh flow after applying the similiarity solution : [tex]\eta=(y/(2*\sqrt{\gamma*t}))[/tex]

The x-momentum equation is given by [tex]f^{''}+2*\eta*f^{'}=0[/tex]

He states that "after integrating by parts the following solution is obtained"

[tex]f=C_{1}*\int(exp(-\eta^{2})*d\eta)+C_{2}[/tex] (integral is from 0 to [tex]\eta)[/tex]

I probably should, but I don't understand how to integrate the original governing equation by parts and obtain that solution. I have reviewed my old calculus books and cannot find any type of example which is similar. Can anyone shed any light?

Physics news on Phys.org
Call g=f'. Then the ode is dg/d(eta)+2*eta*g=0. Now just solve for g by separation of variables. Finally integrate g to get f. I'm not sure I would call that 'integration by parts'.

1. What is Rayleigh Flow?

Rayleigh Flow is a type of compressible flow in fluid dynamics, named after British physicist Lord Rayleigh. It describes the flow of a compressible fluid through a converging-diverging nozzle, where the cross-sectional area decreases and then increases again.

2. How is Rayleigh Flow different from other types of flow?

Rayleigh Flow is characterized by a varying Mach number, which is the ratio of the fluid's speed to the speed of sound. In other types of flow, such as subsonic or supersonic flow, the Mach number remains constant throughout the flow. Additionally, Rayleigh Flow is governed by a set of equations known as the Rayleigh Flow Equations, which are different from the equations used for other types of flow.

3. What is Integration by Parts in the context of Rayleigh Flow?

Integration by Parts is a mathematical technique used to solve integrals involving products of functions. In the context of Rayleigh Flow, it is used to solve the Rayleigh Flow Equations by breaking down the complex integrals into simpler ones and applying integration by parts to solve them.

4. Why is Integration by Parts important in studying Rayleigh Flow?

Integration by Parts is crucial for solving the Rayleigh Flow Equations, which are essential for understanding the behavior of compressible fluids in converging-diverging nozzles. It allows us to analyze and predict the properties of Rayleigh Flow, such as the Mach number and pressure distribution, which are important in various engineering applications.

5. What are some applications of Rayleigh Flow?

Rayleigh Flow has numerous practical applications, including in the design of supersonic aircraft, rocket engines, and gas turbines. It is also important in the study of shock waves, which occur in high-speed flows and play a significant role in aerodynamics and fluid mechanics.