Links Between Electromagnetic, Electro Static and Gravitational Fields?

In summary, The gravitational field obeys the same mathematical constraints as the electrostatic field, but the way in which the two fields interact is different.
WARLORDTF
When Studying the properties of matter, I came across the properties of Gravity, electromagnetism and electro static fields I'm Wondering:

As Gravity and Magnetic Fields a alike and some formulas for finding out the gravity are the same could the three have the same properties. (I have not metioned much of electro static forces as I am not fully knowledgeable in that area of science).

Please can someone clear up this matter
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
At first glance you're right because, classically, the Gravitational Field obeys the same Poisson's equation as Electrostatic Field do, namely
[tex]\nabla^2 \phi = - c \rho[/tex]
with [tex]\phi[/tex] electrostatic or gravitational potential and [tex]\rho[/tex] charge or mass density and c an appropriate constant.

But this view is quite naive...because we know since Maxwell that there exist a unique entity called Electromagnetic Field which is governed by 4 equation which have nothing in common with gravity, once you plug in the time dependence. Remember also that the electromagnetic field you measure depends on your state of motion, this is hardly wrong for gravity!

Hope being helpfull...

Ciao!

Yet If The Gravitational field is recorded it shows similar constraints as a magnetic field...
Does It Not?

Photos showing similarity between magnetic field (left) & electric field (right), indicating they obey the same rules. Same force fields apply to gravitational fields between 2 masses.
Please View The Two Picture attatchments.

Attachments

• epoles.jpg
    epoles.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 349
  • magpoles.gif
    magpoles.gif
    71.4 KB · Views: 446
Yes, it's true. But I think that a quite remarkable feature of physics is that you can apply a common mathematical structure (such as the "technology" of field line you quoted) to the most different topic or physical situation. From this point of view the fact that the field line of a system with two masses or that of a magnet or that of a couple of charges are similar is nothing more than an accident...

If your idea is to find analogies between the gravitational field and electromagnetic field I think that you're going to change your mind when you will study General Relativity because that is the correct (unless until now...) framework to deal with gravitation.

Ciao!

Diverting from my initial question, We both know black holes have gravity-
but isn't the gravity another method of a curve in the space-time continuum. Therefore, because we know that a black holes gravity pulls everything - even light wouldn't the light (according to Planck's formula) be gaining speed as it travels?
If this is true (however unprovable it may seem) wouldn't the light travel into it's own past light cone. (If you believe that if you travel quicker than light you shall go back in time).

Unfortunately the relativity forbids the speed of light to be changed...what happens is that the energy of the photon falling in a gravitational field grows up, so does his frequency ( E = h f ) and what you observe is a sort of gravitational red shift...experimentally observed! So the theory accounts for the fact that the light change its motion, but not its speed.
A thing that always amaze me is the opposite of this...I mean...if matter/energy can, actually do, curve the spacetime it would be in principle possible to create a wave packet of light so energetic to be able to modify the gravitational fields of the solar system for instance and in some figurative sense you can "stop the moon by turning the light on"!

what about if the relativity was changed so light is the operandum. therefore being able to change the C Value.

1. What is the relationship between electromagnetic, electrostatic, and gravitational fields?

The relationship between these fields is that they are all fundamental forces of nature. Electromagnetic fields are created by the presence of electric charges and can be either static or dynamic. Similarly, electrostatic fields are created by stationary electric charges. Gravitational fields, on the other hand, are created by the presence of mass and are responsible for the force of gravity.

2. How do these fields interact with each other?

Electromagnetic and electrostatic fields can interact with each other through a phenomenon called electromagnetic induction. This occurs when a change in an electromagnetic field induces an electric current in a nearby conductor. Gravitational fields, however, do not directly interact with electromagnetic or electrostatic fields.

3. Can one field affect the strength or behavior of another field?

Yes, one field can affect the strength or behavior of another field. For example, a strong electromagnetic field can affect the motion of charged particles in a gravitational field. This is the basis of technologies such as particle accelerators and magnetically levitated trains.

4. Are these fields related to each other in any way?

Yes, these fields are related to each other through a unified theory known as the Standard Model of particle physics. This theory explains how electromagnetic and electroweak forces are related and how they interact with matter. However, the theory does not currently include gravity, which is described by the theory of general relativity.

5. How do we measure and study these fields?

We can measure and study these fields using various scientific instruments and techniques. For example, we can use devices such as voltmeters, ammeters, and magnetometers to measure the strength and direction of electromagnetic and electrostatic fields. For gravitational fields, we can use instruments such as gravimeters and accelerometers. In addition, scientists use mathematical equations and computer simulations to model and study these fields in different scenarios.