Exploring the Name 'Physicsforums': The Intersection of Science and Community

• Thread starter kasse
  • Start date
In summary, Physics Forums was created in 2001 and primarily focuses on physics and math topics. While there are sections for other subjects such as biology and chemistry, they do not receive as much traffic as the physics sections. The website also features a quote by Ernst Rutherford stating that all science is either physics or stamp collecting, with the latter being compared to gathering facts without the need for understanding. It is mentioned that Pauli won a Nobel Prize in stamp collecting and that physics is about understanding how things work. The abbreviation "Maths" is also discussed, with some users finding it insulting while others believe it is the correct way to abbreviate mathematics. It is suggested that stamp collectors can help keep physics grounded in observational evidence.
kasse
Why the name physicsforums when there is chemistry, maths, biology and lots of other topics as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of the other topics did not exist in the "beginning", when PF went online in 2001.

I think of it as a forum for physics and maths. If you have a look there are a lot more physics related sections than any other, with things like biology and chemistry having a tiny portion of the total traffic.

On the top of the page with the directory it says:

Physics Help and Math Help - Physics Forums

Math_ :cry:

All science is either physics or stamp collecting…
–Ernst Rutherford

mgb_phys said:
–Ernst Rutherford

Who won a Nobel Prize in stamp collecting.

True. Chemistry stamp collecting. :bugeye:

mgb_phys said:
–Ernst Rutherford

I love that quote, mainly because I have no idea what it means.​

George Jones said:
Who won a Nobel Prize in stamp collecting.

Pauli.

sm_pauli.jpg

http://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~jr/physstamps.html"​

Last edited by a moderator:
_Mayday_ said:
I love that quote, mainly because I have no idea what it means.

Excellent! So many would not dare to admit that. Stamp collecting is like gathering facts (stamps). No need to understand, just observe, and do the book keeping. Physics is all about finding out how things work.

Andre said:
Excellent! So many would not dare to admit that. Stamp collecting is like gathering facts (stamps). No need to understand, just observe, and do the book keeping. Physics is all about finding out how things work.

Sweet, cheers. Now I am in the know!

I think it was meant as an insult.
Understanding how biological processes work is physics, remembering the classification and latin names for creatures is stamp collecting.
Another quote is something about when the physics becomes obvious the topic gets spun off into it's own subject.

_Mayday_ said:
On the top of the page with the directory it says:

Physics Help and Math Help - Physics Forums

Math_ :cry:
That's because we are American and know the correct way to abbreviate Mathematics. Maths.. Pfffft :smile:

mgb_phys said:
I think it was meant as an insult.
Understanding how biological processes work is physics, remembering the classification and latin names for creatures is stamp collecting.

Absolutely. Problem is that you need stamp collectors to check if your physics is not exceeding the realm of observations.

Evo said:
That's because we are American and know the correct way to abbreviate Mathematics. Maths.. Pfffft :smile:

:biggrin::bugeye::grumpy:

Andre said:
Absolutely. Problem is that you need stamp collectors to check if your physics is not exceeding the realm of observations.

Good point.

Evo said:

:grumpy:

Mayday; there's not use trying to convert them...

cristo said:
:grumpy:

Mayday; there's not use trying to convert them...

Yeah I imagine you've tried to before, mate we'd better just quit now. :grumpy:

1. What is the purpose of "Exploring the Name 'Physicsforums'"?

The purpose of "Exploring the Name 'Physicsforums'" is to delve into the origins and meaning behind the name of the popular online science community, Physicsforums. This article aims to provide insight into the intersection of science and community within the context of the name.

2. How did Physicsforums get its name?

According to the founder of Physicsforums, Greg Bernhardt, the name was inspired by the concept of a forum or gathering place for discussions and learning about physics. The use of "physics" in the name reflects the focus of the community on this particular subject.

3. What does the name "Physicsforums" signify?

The name "Physicsforums" signifies a community dedicated to the open exchange of knowledge and ideas related to physics. It also represents a place for individuals to come together and discuss their passion for this scientific field.

4. Are there any other meanings behind the name "Physicsforums"?

While the primary meaning of the name "Physicsforums" is related to the subject matter and community focus, some have also interpreted it as a play on words, with "physics" being a combination of the words "physical" and "discussions." This could also represent the physical interactions and discussions that take place within the community.

5. How has the name "Physicsforums" influenced the community?

The name "Physicsforums" has helped to shape the identity and purpose of the community, as it clearly communicates the focus of the discussions and the welcoming, open nature of the community. It has also helped to attract individuals with a shared interest in physics, creating a strong and engaged community of like-minded individuals.