Calculating Momentum of a Spacecraft with Thruster Firing?

• Thread starter jamiescience
  • Start date
Just check your final answer to make sure the units are correct. In summary, a 1.0*10^4kg spacecraft traveling at a speed of 1200 m/s relative to earth has a thruster firing for 2.0 minutes with a continuous force of 25kN in the opposite direction of the spacecraft's motion. The initial and final momentum of the spacecraft can be calculated using the equation: Impulse = Change in Momentum. After converting the time to seconds, the equation becomes: (-25*10^3)(120) = (1.0*10^4)(mvi) - (1.0*10^4)(1200). Simplifying, the equation becomes (-3*10^
jamiescience

Homework Statement

a 1.0*10^4kg spacecraft is traveling through space with a speed of 1200 m/s realtive to earth. a thruster fires for 2.0 min, exerting a continuous force of 25kN on the spacecraft in a direction opposite the spacecraft s motion . calculate the initial momentum and the fianl momentum kof the spacecraft .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show work here in order to get help. Those are the rules. What have you tried so far? What are you thoughts on the problem?

(-25*10^3)(2.0)=(1.0x10^4)(1200)+(1.0*10^4)(mvi)

OK. Your big problem is with units. You have seconds on one side of the equation and minutes on the other side of the equation.

Also, remember the equation is:

Impulse =Change in Momentum.
[tex]J=\Delta p=p_f-p_i[/tex]

Check your signs on the RHS of your equation.

Last edited:
ok so it would be 120s instead of 2.0min

(-25*10^3)(120)= (1.0*10^4)(mvi)-(1.0x10^4)(1200)

jamiescience said:
(-25*10^3)(120)= (1.0*10^4)(mvi)-(1.0x10^4)(1200)

That looks good to me.

1. Why is my grade important?

Your grade in a class reflects your understanding and mastery of the subject matter. It also contributes to your overall academic standing and can impact your future opportunities, such as college admissions or job applications.

2. How can I improve my grade?

Improving your grade requires consistent effort and dedication. Start by reviewing your notes and materials, seeking help from your teacher or classmates, and completing all assignments and studying for exams. It may also be helpful to attend tutoring or seek additional resources.

3. Is it too late to raise my grade?

It is never too late to improve your grade. While it may be more challenging towards the end of the semester, it is still possible to make improvements by utilizing study strategies and seeking extra help.

4. Can I negotiate my grade with my teacher?

It is important to communicate with your teacher about your concerns and progress in the class. However, it is ultimately up to the teacher to determine your grade based on your performance and the class requirements.

5. What should I do if I am struggling to maintain a passing grade?

If you are struggling to maintain a passing grade, it is important to seek help and support from your teacher, academic advisor, or school resources. They can provide guidance and resources to help you improve your understanding of the material and your grade in the class.