How can I get help with solving cubic equations for my homework?

• Thread starter mikee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cubic
In summary, the conversation discusses solving cubic equations, specifically converting from the general cubic to the reduced cubic, choosing a value for "u" so that the equation for "y" has no "y^2" term, and using the formula to solve for the roots of the reduced equation. The conversation also mentions a website as a resource for solving cubic equations.
mikee

Homework Statement

I was just wondering if anyone could give me a quick lesson on solving cubic equations(Ax^3+Bx^2+Cx+D=0), or a good place to go to, if anyone can help thanks alot

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
here's the way I would argue it:

First, convert from the general cubic to the "reduced cubic" (without the x2 term). If we replace x by y- u, then
[tex]Ax^3+ Bx^2+ Cx+ D= A(y-u)^3+ B(y- u)^2+ C(y- u)+ D= Ay^3- 3Auy^2+ 3Au^2y- Au^3+ By^2- 2Buy+ Bu^2+ Cy- Cu+ D[/tex]
[tex]= Ay^3+ (-3Au+ B)y^2+ (3Au^2- 2Bu+ C)y+ (-Au^3+ Bu^2- Cu)+ D[/itex]
Choose u so that the coefficient of y2 is 0: That is, choose u= B/3A so that the equation for y has no y2 term. Solve that equation for y, and then x= y+ u.

Now to solve that reduced equation:
If a and b are any two numbers, then
[tex](a+b)^3= a^3+ 3a^2b+ 3ab^2+ b^3[/tex]
and
[tex]3ab(a+b)= 3a^2b+ 3ab^2[/tex]
so
[tex](a+ b)^3- 3ab(a+b)= a^3+ b^3[/tex]
or, letting x= a+b, m= 3ab, and n=a3+ b3,
[tex]x^3- mx= n[/tex]

Given any "reduced" equation Ax3+ Bx+ C= 0, We can divide through by A to get x3+ (B/A)x+ C= 0 or x3- (-B/A)x= -C. m= -B/A and n= -C/A.

Given m and n, can we solve for a and b, and so find x?

Of course, we can! From m= 3ab, b= m/3a. Replacing b by that in n= a3+ b3, n= a3+ m3/(33a3).l

Multiply through by a3 to get na3= a6+ m3/3 which we can write as a quadratic equation for a3:
(a3)3- na3+ m3/33 and solve that with the quadratic formula:

[tex]a^3= \frac{n\pm\sqrt{n^2- 4m^2/3^3}}{2}= \frac{n}{2}\pm\sqrt{\left(\frac{n}{2}\right)^2-\left(\frac{m}{3}\right)^3}[/tex]

Of course, once you have found a, b= m/3a and x= a+ b.

Using that is a heck of a lot of work which is why it is not normally taught in basic algebra!

Here's a website where they just give the formula:
http://www.math.vanderbilt.edu/~schectex/courses/cubic/

hmm that's a little bit more complicated than i thought but thank you

What is a cubic equation?

A cubic equation is a type of polynomial equation that contains a variable raised to the third power. It can also be written in the form of ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable.

How do you solve a cubic equation?

There are multiple methods for solving cubic equations, including factoring, using the cubic formula, and graphing. However, the most common and efficient method is using the Rational Root Theorem to find the possible rational roots, and then using synthetic division or long division to find the remaining roots.

What is the Rational Root Theorem?

The Rational Root Theorem states that if a polynomial equation has a rational root, it will be in the form of p/q, where p is a factor of the constant term and q is a factor of the leading coefficient. This theorem helps to narrow down the possible rational roots of a cubic equation, making it easier to solve.

Can all cubic equations be solved?

Yes, all cubic equations can be solved. However, some may have complex or imaginary roots. Additionally, some cubic equations may have multiple solutions, while others may have only one real solution.

What are the real-world applications of solving cubic equations?

Cubic equations have numerous real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They can be used to model various phenomena, such as the motion of objects, population growth, and financial investments. Solving cubic equations allows scientists and researchers to make predictions and solve problems in these fields.